1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too many roosters???

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by WindyOaksYokes, Jul 24, 2007.

1. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Hi All,

I have read several bulletins regarding having to many roosters as I do my self. If you do not want to kill them, there are a few options that I have found to find good homes for them.

1. Call your local middle or high schools. The AG department and FFA use them as "projects" and learning tools.

2. Put up posters at your local feed store (i.e. TSC, Southern Estates, mom and pop feed store) saying that you are selling/giving them away. I have found a few individuals that do not have roosters but have the hens, so they would like to have that rooster that you want to sell or give away. I have sold mine for 3.00

3. Call your local 4H chapter! They can always help you find a home for them.

4. Call your local Animal control officer... we are good friends with ours, and he helps us find homes for animals, and we also take in animals for them so that they are not uthanized until a home is found or we just keep it.

Some of these options is a tax write off too. [​IMG]

Good Luck to all of you who are looking for good home for your roosters... and hope I have helped.

Tes

2. broncbuster07

broncbuster07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    You can also have them castrated. A castrated rooster is called a capon. Capons don't fight with other capons and roosters and they're more mild tempered.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  3. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I didnt know that... thank you... learn something new everyday... how is it done?? or do I want to know????

4. broncbuster07

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    Not sure of the process but here is something to back me up (in case you thought I was loony) WARNING: there is pictures of poultry carcasses on this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capon

5. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    LOL... I didn't think you were loony [​IMG] I am currious now to know how it is done... guess I am going to have to do some research... yet once again lol. Thanks

Tes

6. cadman68

cadman68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2007
    Middle TN
    It's not a very easy thing to do. and if you love chickens like most of us do you wouldn't want it done to your birds. I think it's cruel but that is just me.

7. broncbuster07

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    What's cruel about it? Just asking.[​IMG]

8. cadman68

cadman68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2007
    Middle TN
    Well unless you have something to put them to sleep they are awake for the process which includes making a cut between thier ribs and using something to spread the ribs while you go into the body cavity and remove thier testicles. Sounds pretty painful to me, now if you had some sort of anesthesa(sp) that would be a different story.

9. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Oh goodness, that does not sound like something I personally would partake in. hmmm... to each his own. I do appreciate the info though on the castration because I didn't know you could. And might I add.... EWWWW poor thing. I do wonder why someone would do that. hmmmm...

Thanks for the info... interesting.

Tes

10. broncbuster07

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    I think what we have to realize here, is that an animal's pain tolerance is much higher than ours. I've been around livestock all of my life and done everything from horseshoeing to castration to cutting roosters' combs for shows. And, yes, it is definately painful for the animals, but not to the extent that it would be for a human. See, there once was a time when people walked everywhere(probably barefooted), lived in earthen homes, and actually caught there food with their bare hands. There was no anesthesias or pain killers. Back then, man's tolerance of pain was likely way higher than it is nowadays. Well, animals are still there. Most animals don't have A/C, tenis shoes with Dr Scholls insoles, or an Excedrin bottle in their purse. Pain is just part of life for them. Have you ever seen 2 rams or billy goats knocking heads? That doesn't look like something I would enjoy, but they do it over and over. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't, in any way, support animal cruelty. That is senseless and barbaric! But to perform a procedure on an animal for a purpose, especially if it's to prolong that animal's life, is not cruel. It's like Dad always told me: No pain, no gain! But that's just my opinion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by