Too many roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bkreugar, Sep 8, 2009.

1. bkreugar

bkreugar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    I have a flock of currently 25 chickens. 6 are roos.

I have a bantam roo that we love.

I was given 12 chickens by an aquantance that was drowning in chicks due to 3 broody hens. Of the 12 5 have turned up to be roos.one is now fullgrown and I have no issue with.I also have 2 younger white roos and 2 brown roos all are leghorn crosses.

I sold 2 frizzle roos I had on craigslist last week for $5 apeice.

My guys free range during the day so fighting has so far not been an issue. I just get tired of ALL the crowing all day long.

This morning on freecycle there was a lady who posted wanting a roo for her 4 hens as she had lost hers.

I emailed back saying she could have her pick of any of my 5 and all are so far non agressive even the full grown guy.

She emails back she would take one and has a freind who would take the other 3 for "yard art" and she SWEARS won't eat them.

Yea right!!!

I figured 3 of the 5 would eventually go to freezer camp for us.But since she wanted one I would give her one.

Now I think this is someone trolling fro free meat maybe for the freind who wants the other 3.

What do you guys think? NO one wants 3 adolescent rpps.but on the other hand they are about 12 weeks so not ANY meat on them really yet.

What do you think doesn't sound like someone is going to have a free meal?

2. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    I have seen that lady before on Craigeslist and freecycle. I don't know what to think. If you really care then trust your gut and keep looking for a better home. If you are sending them to Freezer Camp regardless then give them to her. If she is that hungry maybe she needs them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by