Too Many Roosters

montbob

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
I started my flock by hatching my own eggs bought from McMurray.I had great success and have about 30 chickens,15 or so are roosters.They are a mixed flock and some are rare breeds.The hens are laying now and the roosters are getting really agressive with each other and ganging up on my Rhode Island hen which is crippled in her feet.I kept her,because she was my first hatched and seems happy,but now is getting roughed up.She lays almost daily.I need to get rid of a lot of roosters pretty quick.Any suggestions?

Hi, you could try an add in your local craig list or putting up fliers at your local feed store. The only other option I can think of is to eat them.
Nancy

I encountered the same problem, although I did not end up with as many roosters as you have. I called several of the local feed stores, many of which have goats, chickens, etc. A couple of them were willing to take a rooster from me to free range on the store property. Now, whenever we go visit our usual feed store, we get to see our little bantam cochin. He was particularly nasty towards one of our Polish hens and had plucked out all her tail feathers and half the feathers on her back. I also did an internet search for any local chicken farms and found one half an hour away. We toured the farm and enjoyed visiting all of their free range chickens. The gentlemen farmer was very nice and took two of our Silkie Roos. I wish you the best of luck in placing your roosters. We wound up keeping two roosters with thirteen hens, a Blue-Laced Red Wyandotte Rooster and a Splash Silkie Rooster. Everyone gets along well.

Thanks guys.I just can't seem to bring myself to killing them.I planned to keep them til TSHTF,but I don't think I can wait.The rhodie named red jumped my wife the other day when i was out of town and completely thrashed her in the mud.Is he a keeper?

I think I would check with the wife on that one:lol: Really your choices are limited. I am lucky enough to have a freind that rather enjoys butchering chickens I give them to him his wife make stock sometimes I get a little of the stock.

Extra roosters are a bit of an issue. It is one of the benefits of breeding exhibition and true heritage breeds, they are a little easier to get rid of. I just traded a nice Wheaten Marans rooster this morning to a guy for some of his eggs. Seemed like a good trade to me. I have also managed to sell for a bit or give away a fair number of heritage RIR roosters for folks to try to get a little color in their flocks.

Good luck

The fact of chicken life is that in a mixed flock the ideal ratio is 1:10, and many flocks are kept with no roosters at all. That means there are job positions for less than 10% of all roosters ever hatched, and 90% have their purpose on a plate somewhere. Perhaps some day you'll be interested in learning how to process your own roosters for your table. Meanwhile, pick out your best 2 roosters -- the most mannerly ones! -- and relocate the rest.

Quote:
Sounds to me like that unknown substance has hit the fan. The last time I checked McMurray charged more for eggs than sexed chicks or am I mistaken????? Why Hatch knowing that you will get 50% roosters if you haven't a use for them or the fortitude to make the adjustment so to speak???

This question is one of the most common of all questions and one with the most predictable circumstance. I simply do not understand.

I just looked up McMurray eggs unless I am missing something eggs are 4.00 each with 50% roosters and 100% hatch you are now at 8.00 per pullet right out of the gate. I think sexed pullets are 2.75. I am missing a math equation here somewhere. ??????

Back
Top Bottom