Too many Roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by taprock, Nov 18, 2010.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

In order to get a top hat mix I had to order my chicks straight run. Now they are about 15 weeks and we have way to many roosters. I thought there were 6 and gave away 3. However now that they are older I find I still have 7 left. They are all beautiful Polish bantams except one EE and one Crevecour (sp?)and I hate to destroy them and they are too small to eat, but I'm not sure what else to do. I would like to get the number down to 3 and see how they do. There has been lots of feather pulling going on between roosters and even some of the hens but I'm not sure who the culprit is. All are friendly with us so that isn't an issue. I just don't want to get rid of one only to find I have kept the wrong ones. Any suggestions on how to tell which to cull and which to keep? My son's favorite is the EE and he seems to be one of the most aggressive.

2. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm sure other folks with more experience than me can help you with this but I'd have to say that if I had several roosters and one was beating up the hens then they would have to be culled or given away. The only exception I can think of is if the roo was SQ and was young and there was hope that they might settle down as they mature.

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

I'm not sure from your post if eating them is an option, but if it is that would solve your problem. We start culling at around 12 weeks if we are pushed for space. The small breeds my wife bakes whole (Roast, whatever it's called, cooks them in the oven in a baking pan with tin foil over the top, sorta like they were cornish game hens) with butter & spices. They are tiny that way... but oh so good!

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:[​IMG]

Too many roos are bad for the hens. The hens will be overbred and stressed out--been there, done that, NEVER AGAIN! If you don't want to do "cornish game hens" out of them and are unable to find new homes for the majority I think your only other viable option is to make a bachelor pad for them. If you do that you'll still have to wait and see if they will get along with each others, but I know many people do it with good success.

5. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

There isn't much to the birds for eating so I would just destroy them. What do you mean by a bachelor pad? I would like to get down to 3 roosters as I have 15 hens. My biggest problem is I can not catch the problem roosters in the act of pulling feathers so I'm not sure which to get rid of. I figure the two bald roosters are safe to keep because I know they didn't do it.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Some roosters do fine together when away from females. So the "bachelor pad" idea was referring to a shelter/run JUST for the "extra" roosters to live in...
    And if you can't give them away (and even with ornamental breeds it's often hard to place roos), then you may simply have to kill them. It does seem like a waste...so they're not even large enough to cook like a small cornish game hen? Don't know whether processing them would be worth your time or not...
    Yeah...your dilemma is why I've stuck to ordering sexed chicks from hatcheries... [​IMG]

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Even if the roosters aren't big enough for a human meal, if you have cats or dogs you could process them, and use them for cat and/or dog food.

8. chipmunkridge

chipmunkridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Lancaster
    I also struggle with TOO many roosters. At this point I have 2 hold outs to the cull and eat solution, my 10 year old son who states he will not eat a pet rooster, and my husband, who releases spiders outside rather than kill them, he has also caught and released mice, which I am sure laugh as they run around and find a way back in. My 19 year old son, who is a wildlife management major and hunts is willing to help with the cull. At this point we have a coop with cages and 8 bachelors; some are clearly pets or 4H show chickens, but there are 3 bantam cochins that serve no purpose. And I hope to breed some d"Anvers this spring and there will be extra roosters for sure. We live in the country, in the woods and there are feral cats, hawks, owls, coyote, skunks, weasels, mink, racoons and neighborhood dogs so they cant free range. I've suggested letting fellows run around the yard, at least they'll have a fun time till the inevitable happens, but DH thinks that's not acceptable. So, until we come to an agreeable to all solution, they live in cages and crow in the morning and demand treats.

Susan
    [​IMG]

9. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    When we reduced out numbers of Jaerhon and Ameraucana roosters, we cook two at a time in a large crock pot then debone for cassarole and sandwich meat.

It seems a waste to kill something and not use the body. I have occassionaly had kill a bird that was injured and more of a pet to the boys, and that bird had to be buried (with honors [​IMG]) but generally speaking we try to make use of the parts of any animal we have to kill.

In the summer we usually end up with several bachelor pens, as some of the boys get along and others do not. It is always a plus to me if a rooster quickly figures out his place in the pen and then lives and lets live. I don't like to keep roosters that will fight to the death.

10. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    We just had some of this year's roo crop processed. There was a cochin bantam from May hatch among the LF. He dressed out at over 4 lbs and looks like a great personal size portion!
    We have a Spanish friend who loves to take our excess banty roos at any age. She dresses them and makes a big pot of soup and just strains it for the bones.
    Our plans next year is to only have early spring hatches and process excess roos in early fall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by