Too many roosters!?!?!

jaimepowell

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 23, 2011
Wellsville
As it turns out I have 4 roosters and only one pullet
sad.png

They are about 13 weeks old now and are all out in a coop with an L-shaped run that is 12' x 6' with an additional 6' x 6' on the opposite end of the coop. All of them started out VERY friendly, 2 roosters are rhode island reds and 2 are bantams. The bantams are still very affectionate and pretty laid back. The smaller RIR is a little skittish but will still let us hold him and isn't showing any signs of aggression....now the bigger RIR is a BULLY! I see him picking on everyone else all day long. I put some large branches in the run that the bantams can get too pretty easily so they aren't picked on as much. And now he is starting to be mean to me! I feed them every morning and give them a snack almost every evening. Last night when I was taking some scraps from dinner he grabbed ahold of my hand and drew blood. I have 3 kids (ages 4, 4, and 6) who LOVE going out to the coop and now I'm afraid to let them go in at all. Any suggestions?? Is he always going to be like this?

Thanks.

I would personally get rid of the bully. There is no place for an even remotely aggressive rooster with kids around IMHO. Do you plan on getting more pullets? One girl to three boys will wear her out with all the attention from them all. I would not keep her with any more than 1 rooster unless you plan on getting more girls very soon.

I had not planned on getting more females until next Spring--this was my first chick buying experience and I thought I knew what I was doing but ended up with nothing close to what I wanted. If I get more pullets now do they have to be separated for a while until I can put them all together? And should I get pullets that are around the same age?

I would get rid of all of your roos except one, or, if you plan on keeping all of your roos, put them all in one pen together without any pullets. Try to find another pullet (of the same age or size) to give your existing pullet company. I've never had a RIR roo, but I have heard that many are aggressive. Take a big stick with you and whack him with it. You have to show him that you are dominant. I would not let my children near him. If he were mine, I would eat him.

With only one pullet do you really need ANY roosters right now?

Do you want a rooster to fertilize eggs or just someone to watch over his girls...well, girl...for the time being?

I'd probably opt for getting rid of all the roosters and starting over with a fresh crop of chicks. Hopefully you'll get a better ratio.

Back
Top Bottom