Too many roosters

Scituchick

Hatching
8 Years
May 9, 2011
OK, we're located in Eastern MA on the south shore and this spring have both hatched chicks (great experience) and bought a few to fill in the gaps (just in case we didn't get all hens; can't sex an egg before it hatches...) Anyway, we ended up with fourteen birds, all awesome, but five are roosters, and we just can't keep them where we are. I love the noise at 5:32AM, but the neighbors think less of it. How can I find a farm or someone with a backyard flock that's looking for meat birds or someone that wants some males for his (her) girls?
We have four Speckled Sussex and one Buff Brahma, all about 5 months old.
Appreciate the help.
Side note, built a great coop using the pictures from the coop section.
Thanks for that!

Scuituchicks

Quote:
A lot of folks use Craigslist, Freecycle, local classified ads, etc to advertise birds for sale or to give away.

Other than that, this is the Meat Birds sections, there is a sticky post at the top of the forum that has links to show you how to process them and introduce them to your freezer.

Thanks.
I did post there as well.
The Craigslist idea is a good one.
If not, it's roast chicken...

If you choose not to roast them yourself, Craigslist is a very good way to get rid of them. I post to pick up unwanted roosters, with the clear intention that I will be eating them. I get quite a few that way
smile.png

Quote:
Booker, I've wondered about that myself, since we see free ones listed all the time here. Are you ever concerned about what they've previously been fed? Do you keep them for a certain period of time before processing? Do you look for any illness?

Quote:
Booker, I've wondered about that myself, since we see free ones listed all the time here. Are you ever concerned about what they've previously been fed? Do you keep them for a certain period of time before processing? Do you look for any illness?

Good question, I was wondering that myself.

Quote:

Good question, I was wondering that myself.

I think times are hard for everyone, and I've got an empty quarantine pen and family and friends who are willing to help process for a share. I know we could certainly use the meat and we would treat the birds humanely, but I guess those questions have kept me from pursuing this more.

Sorry to hijack the thread!

As a wrap up, I did follow the Craigslist route; not sure why I didn't do that before...
Found a great man (also on BYC) that took the boys. Thanks for that recommendation.

Now that the group has been asking about feed, this may not be the right forum, but what brand of organic feed are people using?
I purchased some egg layer mash from McGeary, and the birds loved it, but it was a little pricey....
My local store pushes the "natural" Purina feed but it's not organic.
Any recommendations?

Quote:
Those are things I talk to the people I pick up from about. I come out to their place, and while chatting, take a good look at the health of the other critters there. I bring up the topic of feed, housing, care, and general chicken chat - which most people (and all of the one's I've picked up from) are happy to discuss.

Even then, I wear a different set of boots to their place, and their chickens do not come near my chickens, no supplies for the processing area are ever brought near my chickens, and I even change clothes and shower before tending my chickens.

I don't wait to process usually, unless I'm rushed, and I keep a set of crates in the garage for the "new" chickens, and they get their own feed and water things (if I can't process right away, I make sure they are well cared for in the meantime). I do watch for breathing issues, nose/eye discharge, weird poo. When I process, I check the internal organs closely - especially the livers and lungs. If they aren't in great condition, the whole thing will be discarded. I've not had any issues with this so far - every one I've gotten has been in good health. I'm used to the liver/lung general health check from processing wild game birds anyway (geese, ducks, turkey).

That's one reason I like to process my own meats - I know exactly what it's condition is - internal organs give a good idea of general health. Can't do the same for a store piece of meat
smile.png

Quote:
Those are things I talk to the people I pick up from about. I come out to their place, and while chatting, take a good look at the health of the other critters there. I bring up the topic of feed, housing, care, and general chicken chat - which most people (and all of the one's I've picked up from) are happy to discuss.

Even then, I wear a different set of boots to their place, and their chickens do not come near my chickens, no supplies for the processing area are ever brought near my chickens, and I even change clothes and shower before tending my chickens.

I don't wait to process usually, unless I'm rushed, and I keep a set of crates in the garage for the "new" chickens, and they get their own feed and water things (if I can't process right away, I make sure they are well cared for in the meantime). I do watch for breathing issues, nose/eye discharge, weird poo. When I process, I check the internal organs closely - especially the livers and lungs. If they aren't in great condition, the whole thing will be discarded. I've not had any issues with this so far - every one I've gotten has been in good health. I'm used to the liver/lung general health check from processing wild game birds anyway (geese, ducks, turkey).

That's one reason I like to process my own meats - I know exactly what it's condition is - internal organs give a good idea of general health. Can't do the same for a store piece of meat
smile.png

Thanks, that's very helpful! I may keep my eyes open for the right situation to try that. I see free birds, roosters and hens, on craigslist all the time, and quite often they offer them for food or flock. If someone wants to find a home for a pet they are usually very specific about it and charge something for the bird.

Back
Top Bottom