Too many roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by southernnewbie, Sep 30, 2011.

1. southernnewbie

southernnewbie New Egg

Jul 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have five friendly pet chickens. From the top, I think my Mottled D'uccle is a hen because she/he gets along well with Baby, who I believe is a Blue Marans Rooster.

I have three silkies, two of which I think are roosters because they have a dark knob of skin above their beaks.

Baby is the only one I think I have caught crowing, and no one has laid any eggs yet.

Fluffy, the black silkie, has pretty color variations on his chest. Is he a silkie mutt, or is there a name for that? [​IMG]

Thanks for your feedback!

Nic

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You'll hear a lot of myths about roosters. Each chicken is a living animal with its own personality. Each flock has its own dynamics. There is no guarantee how any chicken or flock will act, regardless of the mix.

Are you guaranteed problems with three roosters and only two hens. No, not guaranteed. However, the more roosters you have the more likely you are to have problems. I recommend you keep as few roosters as your goals allow. I personally would not keep that many. I consider the risk too great.

3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    How old is your D'uccle? could you get a better pic? The blur of a comb makes it look like a roo also. If it's comb is that red, you should be see eggs, have you searched the yard for a hidden nest?

Where did you get your blue barred rooster? That is not a common color for a maran.

If your black silkie was a crossbreed, he wouldn't have silkie feathering. Silkie feathering is recessive and both parents have to have a copy. He is just a cross of colors.

4. southernnewbie

southernnewbie New Egg

Jul 16, 2011
    Quote:Just today my white Silkie Pooh, who I think is a rooster, is showing defeathering on the top of his head. If he's getting hurt because I have too many roosters, I think it is time to find him a new home. But is he a rooster? And is that a typical result, or is it probably something else?

5. southernnewbie

southernnewbie New Egg

Jul 16, 2011
    Quote:All of my chickens are 13 wks. Am I right about the sexing I've guessed at so far? I will try to get a better pic of Rocky tomorrow. I have been looking but no eggs yet, that I can find. My Blue Marans Baby came from an Alabama breeder, who (I'm told) crossed a Copper Marans rooster with a Blue Marans hen. The parents were pretty, too! Baby came out of a fairly dark brown egg, as well. I am hoping, if I have to rehome a few of my roosters, to find Baby a few Marans pullets to keep him company.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  6. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I'm not very good sexing silkies, but the 2 chickens on the top definitely look like roosters to me.

7. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    It's hard to tell from the pictures you provided. It's best to get straight side on shots of each bird standing naturally and post them so that they are easy to view.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by