1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too many Roosters!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by clairemcc1, Dec 31, 2011.

1. clairemcc1

clairemcc1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    Having hatched out some eggs earlier in the year I decided to keep 6 of them. Just my luck they ALL [​IMG] turned out to be roosters!! They are excellent quality being mainly light Sussex's, but having advertised them locally for months nobody seems to be interested in re-homing any of them and I am givning them away as I havent got the room to keep an additional 6 roosters as I already have one [​IMG]. I dont know what to do with them - so if any one has any suggestions they would be greatly apperciated!! And...Happy New Year to you all!!

thanks,
    C

2. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    Not everyone agrees with me but I have a separate grow out pen for my extra roosters. They are fed good quality high protein feed and when they are about 20 weeks old they are used to feed my family. I know they are well cared for and served a purpose.

There are TONS of people on here willing to help you and walk you through this process if you are interested.

3. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Well the obvious answer is to eat them. There are lots of threads and tutorials here in the meat section on how to process your own birds.

4. clairemcc1

clairemcc1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    To be honest I would be reluctant to eat them as I feel it would be like eating a pet. But then again the ones in the supermarket are more-or-less the same, plus I would know exactly what I am eating! Obviously, roosters or of less value to poultry keepers than hens, but is it common for people to hatch, care for then eat their own roosters??

thanks,

5. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Yes it is very common for the farming community to eat what it raises, be it chickens, pigs or cattle. We raise it well and kill humanely and enjoy. it also helps not to name it anything other than Dinner or StewPot, although we do have a Potpie at the moment.

6. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    You may have BYCers on here that live close to you that would love to adopt them, but you do not mention where you are from on your profile or under you avatar. Plus you could go to the 8 weeks or older thread and post it there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=35 You can ask for money or just explain you are trying to find a home for them. They look awesome and you should not have a problem finding a new home for them. Good luck.

7. crankster76

crankster76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Kingston,Tn.
    lets face it ,chickens are livestock and go good on the table for dinner.thats why we raise them . at least we know what there eating . I have had several good roo's for dinner..good stuff!

8. zrossk

zrossk Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Blandon, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Not all people keep their chickens as livestock. I would not raise them for livestock if i had them. If i had them as pets i would not hatch them to avoid the OP's situation.

9. zrossk

zrossk Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Blandon, Pennsylvania
    You might be able to find a website or something that buys and sells good healthy chickens for shows.

10. berniezahm

berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    Near where I live there is a sale barn/flea market that operates every Monday evening. Myself and 2 or 3 of my local chicken friends take our extra roosters up there and sell them to mostly middle eastern and hispanic folks. They will pay $10.00 for a large rooster. I would personally recommend freezer camp, but my wife won't eat anything she has looked in the eye. Home grown rooster is better flavored meat than any chicken Perdue or Tyson or any other mass producer can produce, better for you also. No antibiotics, additives, hormones, nor forced feeding program.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by