1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too many Roosters

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MyGirlChicks, Nov 24, 2012.

1. MyGirlChicks

MyGirlChicks New Egg

Nov 24, 2012
    I am new at this and purchased four chicks last spring. I have all the necessary housing and supplies I need. My problem is that one chick was abducted, I let them out all day. The remaining three turned out to be two roosters and one hen. I have a Polish Bantam Rooster and a Dominique rooster with only one Rhode Island hen. You can see I am not doing this for any other reason than beauty and enjoyment. I have gotten so attached to them all and they do come when called. How much stress am I placing on my Rhode Island with two roosters. Do I need to get rid of one and replace with an adult hen (so I know what I am getting).? Any help would be appreciated.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    As they age it won't be simply stress, they can injure or kill her with over mating. Your best option is to either rehome a rooster or seperate the hen from the two boys. You'll probably want to get another hen to keep her company, but they'll still need to be seperated. Even two hens and two roosters is too much for the hens.

The roosters usually do great in a "bachelor pad" pen. No girls to fight over, they might squabble a litle but not so much. And you hen(s) will be happier and more productive.

3. MyGirlChicks

MyGirlChicks New Egg

Nov 24, 2012
    I appreciate the quick response. Now I just have to decide which roo to replace. I have gotten so attached. Thanks for the info and I will correct the situation. I can tell that Rhoda (Rhode Island) is getting a little stressed as Henry (Dominique) is getting more aggressive. Phyllis (bantam roo) just stands around a lot. Thank you.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, it's really tough.
    You'll probably get rid of the polish roo easiest, they're so goofy looking folks really like them.
    Even with just the one hen and one roo, though, it's still too much for her. You'll need more hens or to seperate them from each other.

5. MyGirlChicks

MyGirlChicks New Egg

Nov 24, 2012
    Thanks....I will be making some changes soon.

6. janelle18

janelle18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    My Coop
    I have a 'Rooster Room' that had all my extra roosters in it, we got rid of all of them except 6 ( one of each different breed i have) as 'backup's' for my breeding pens. They did fighting a fair bit to start but now they have a pecking order established and are all pretty good. We have 4 hens in there, but recently added 6 more. It's funny because my hens do more harm to each other than the roosters do to them. I have one in a separate pen because another hen was picking on her so much, despite having been together since chicks.

7. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Your two roosters who grew up together have a better chance of getting along but it is still a risk. Yes probably need more hens.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by