Too many Roosters

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MyGirlChicks, Nov 24, 2012.

1. MyGirlChicks

MyGirlChicks New Egg

Nov 24, 2012
    I am new at this and purchased four chicks last spring. I have all the necessary housing and supplies I need. My problem is that one chick was abducted, I let them out all day. The remaining three turned out to be two roosters and one hen. I have a Polish Bantam Rooster and a Dominique rooster with only one Rhode Island hen. You can see I am not doing this for any other reason than beauty and enjoyment. I have gotten so attached to them all and they do come when called. How much stress am I placing on my Rhode Island with two roosters. Do I need to get rid of one and replace with an adult hen (so I know what I am getting).? Any help would be appreciated.

2. ChickenMad11

ChickenMad11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2012
    Great Britain
    If they crow, you should try varios ways to stop the roosters:

1) Put him in darkness

2) Sell him [​IMG]
    3) Take him to the vet and ask if they can cut his vocal cords [​IMG]

Hope that helped [​IMG]

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    you need at least a min of 6 hens per rooster if not the hen gets way to much attention and is under a lot of stress. best thing to do is either get more hens to go with the cockerels or sell the cockerels for hens. you could do a trio (1 rooster and 2 hens) that would work as well as many keep trios and quads

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by