Too many roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SBENJA, Aug 10, 2013.

1. SBENJA

SBENJA New Egg

May 8, 2013
    Aurora, Mo
    In April I bought 13 chicks; 6 of them ended up to be roosters. They are now about 18 weeks old. I have noticed for a couple of weeks the roosters are constantly fighting (of course) but they are not letting the hens come out of the coop to come outside. They are so frighten they don't even leave the top of the roost. When I go and clean on top and shew them down the roosters come in and force them back up on the roost; they won't eat or drink. I know I need to get rid of 5 of them but aren't they too young for the stew pot? Advise please. Thank you

2. [​IMG]

Your ratio of 6 out of 13 is just about perfect for straight run. 18 weeks is about perfect for freezer camp if that is what your intentions are. I personaly would only keep one or two of the best looking males. But that is just me.

Wish ya the best.

Phil

3. SBENJA

SBENJA New Egg

May 8, 2013
    Aurora, Mo
    I am new to this, thanks for the advise.
    I do have 2 that are very handsome roo's (1 black sex-link, and 1 black and white speckled?) and would like to keep those, but they are the bullies. I wonder if it would be better to keep the more timid RIR; they seem to be more mellow.
    Thanks, I'm definitely going to be getting the 4 of them in the freezer soon.

4. stlcards

stlcards Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    Missouri
    I'd keep the RIR. You can do a lot with true RIR hens and mate them with other breeds for sec linked chicks. That and I wouldn't keep an aggressive bird.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sounds like you need to either process them ASAP or separate them until you can. Your hens lives sound miserable and you need to take care of them. 18 weeks is perfect for dual purpose roosters.

6. SBENJA

SBENJA New Egg

May 8, 2013
    Aurora, Mo
    Thank you everyone for the advise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by