Too many roosters!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mamas, Aug 28, 2013.

1. mamas

mamas Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2012
    Okay, I have 7 welsummer hens (was 8 until this afternoon sometime) and 8 roosters. I can't seem to sell or give the roosters away. I was thinking of keeping them just to eat them but that means to make them a separate run and we still have other things that we need to do plus you are still putting the money in to keeping them fed, or you leave them to free range where I seem to be feeding other things! So in this situation what do some of you with more experience do. I feel like killing them now (going on 4 months) is a waste of a nice bird but.....I don't know...any suggestions?

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    You can try to sell or give them away either on this site or on craigs list. Everyone always has extras, that is why they are so hard to get rid of. Show off the pictures, maybe someone will fall in love and want to take one home.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    What I did when I had more roosters than hens, was to pen all the roosters but one (my flock rooster) in one of my two coops (they both have runs attached) until it was time to butcher them. They had plenty of room, there were no hens in the pen with them, so there was no fighting. I would rather butcher my own birds than sell them for a couple of bucks or give them away after I've spent time, effort and money to raise them. If you don't have a way to separate them from the hens, I'd butcher or get rid of them soon, though, because if they aren't already, they will be relentless in chasing your poor hens around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by