Too many roosters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jaemomma, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Jaemomma

Jaemomma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2014
    Georgia
    Out of my 14 chickens it appears that I have 7 roosters. :( Right now they all get along fine. I never see any fighting. 10 of the chickens (6 roos) are Buff Orpingtons and seem to all be great chickens! They are 17 weeks. 1 roo is a Partridge Plymouth Rock, he is 21 weeks and is gorgeous but scared of everything. 2 Rhode Island red hens 21 weeks, and one silkie hen (she doesn't mingle with the rest but is never far away).

I always said that we would eat them if we got too many roosters, but I am wondering, am I really going to have a problem if I keep them all? They have 13 acres to roam, including woods and lots and lots of green. I haven't seen any eggs yet but I expect some soon!

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    At most try to keep two cockrels, no more. Avoid any who look even a little people aggressive, or nasty to the pullets. Pick the two that appeal to you the most, and possibly cull down to one by winter. Your pullets will have a terrible time with too many males! I love my roosters, but the number MUST be limited, unless you plan to have a separate bachelor pen out of site of the hens. Mary

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    You are in that wishing stage. They all are getting along, you like them..... but it is not a good mix. The hormones will start, and your hens are going to run ragged, the boys will fight, and you won't have a peaceful flock and it will limit the egg production.

I try and pick a middle rooster, not the top dog. The top rooster wants to be the top, and may try and dominate people. Try and pick a rooster that mostly ignores you, and tends to move out of your space.

Mrs K

1 person likes this.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They might in fact be fine for a few more months, with all that space to move around. But, come winter, with bad weather, those cockerels are still going to be horny and the pullets will have no place to go. Even your mild climate will confine them a fair amount. I'd suggest paring down before then.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop

ITA with Mrs. K and donrae - reality is that what seems to be working now is not going to continue to do so - your hens WILL pay the price as will some of your cockerels. The kindest thing for all involved is to keep a balanced flock, and that is going to require some changes to your gender balance.

6. Jaemomma

Jaemomma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2014
    Georgia
    Thanks all. It might be partly wishful thinking, but I am also very new to chickens and I really have a lot to learn! I guess I need to get started reducing my roosters. I think I want to keep the Partridge Plymouth Rock. He is gorgeous. He runs away from everyone and I have never seen him act aggressive towards anyone. I guess now I need to learn out to butcher chickens. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by