too many sunflower seeds?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NuthatchKnollChickens, Aug 4, 2008.

1. NuthatchKnollChickens

NuthatchKnollChickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Ithaca, NY
    Now that my chickens free range during the day, they've learned to make a bee-line from their coop to the wild bird feeder where they can dig up lots of spilled black oil sunflower seeds. Is this something I should try to prevent? Could the sunflower seeds cause them to develop a weight problem?

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    My girls do the exact same thing.

Many here (myself included) give sunflower seeds as a treat for extra protein and oil.

Unless there are just pounds and pounds of them there, I'd think they'll be OK.

3. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    Ha! Mine do the same and I was just looking here to post about it..... I hope it is ok. I was thinking this morning of making a fence so they wouldn't get at the patio where the seed drops, but they go for it in earnest and it is sooooo cute!

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I just got done giving my chickens some sunflower seeds. I throw a handful on the ground, and they love it. They search for hours. lol.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Mine get a cup of sunflower seeds, morning and night. Its their summertime "scratch"

6. NuthatchKnollChickens

NuthatchKnollChickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Ithaca, NY
    Great! One less thing to worry about. Thanks everyone!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I give them treats of scratch, (oats, sunflower seeds, once in awhile bird seed, cracked corn etc.), in small quanities as these are treats. I also give them vegies, fruits, most everything that I can grow. I do grow a lot of corn and watermelon especially, also tomatoes, squash, root crops, the list can go on. I feed them everything except potatoes. I figure they will eat what they want. I do free range them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by