Too Many Toms (Pics added)

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Smitty's Farm, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Songster

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Hi everyone! [​IMG]

I'm Kim from Smitty's Farm. It's been a busy year and I haven't posted to much lately.

Last summer I got 5 heritage turkeys from Cackle Hatchery for my husband to replace our beloved pet Henry that had passed away a few yrs ago. I didn't want a whole mail order requirement of 15, so decided to put my min order in of 5 and drive to the hatchery to pick them up after the hatch date. They were suppose to be all Blue Slate, but ended up w/ 4 Blue Slate and one Beautiful Black Spanish. All turkey orders are straight run, so no sexing. I ended up w/ one Blue Slate Hen and 3 Blue Slate Toms and Black Spanish Tom.

Anyway....I love them all, but so tired of separating the competing toms. They just turned a year old this July. I will probably keep the Blue Slate hen and one Blue Slate tom. I would love to keep the beautiful black spanish one, but he hates my favorite blue slate tom I'd like to keep. Constantly challenging each other. [​IMG]

The other 2 Blue Slates and the Black Spanish usually get along and travel in a pack, but of course they fight sometimes to. Just when they are getting along so well and look good they start fighting. I knew this would be a problem, but was hoping to find a way to keep them all. [​IMG] Just to many toms.

I was just wondering what people are charging for turkeys this size to sell before I post them in the Buy, Sell, Trade section.

I'd appreciate to know what breeders typically would charge to sell year old tom turkeys. I'll look for some pics to post and see if I can take some updated ones today.

Thanks so much!!!!! [​IMG]
    Kim

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  2. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Songster

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Here's an old pic of "Boys in the Hood!" LOL!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

They remind me of a Turkey Mofia group the way they carry about free ranging all around the yard together as a gang occasionally beating each other up for the affections of their favorite woman.

It's not a great pic b/c it's taken in early spring at the height of the breeding season fighting challenges were taken place. Their tail feather look horrible here.

I need to take recent pics today. Vladimir Cortex, the Black Spanish tom's tail feather have grown back out by now and he is gorgeous. We named him Vladimir b/c he looked like a little vampire (Dracula) as a baby poult with his yellow face and black that came to a point in the middle of his forehead. LOL!!! [​IMG]

The other Blue Slate tom's are still growing, but look much better than they do here.

Any imput of what to charge would be greatly appreciated!!!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. longranger

longranger Songster

Apr 23, 2009
    laguna hills CA
    If it were me I would buy a black spanish hen or two and keep both of my favorite toms. Then the painful part is building the new pen and coop. For me that passes quicker than the regret of not keeping my special birds. Eventually we all have to decide when enough is enough after which we cull for the table, trade with others etc.. PS I really like Dracula.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  4. chickenannie

chickenannie Songster

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    One way to manage too many boys (toms or roosters) is to butcher them. That's what people did traditionally -- kept the hens for eggs and kept one tom and then butchered the rest for meat. Just a thought. Not trying to be offensive.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    They are beautiful!

6. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Songster

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:No offense taken to me, but butchering them wouldn't fly over to well in my household with my veggie head animal loving daughter. LOL!!! I know that's what people use to do and still do.

We bought them for pets and possible breeding. My original question wasn't asking what to do with them, but how much $$$ people usually sell adult (1 yr old) birds for????? Just trying to get an idea before I post them.

I wanted to try to sell them first, but don't know what to charge. They really are beautiful and thought someone may want them for breeding. I'd hate for them to be butchered since they are rare heritage breeds.

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    In Louisiana, Toms can go anywhere from $25.00 to $60.00. It all depends on who you buy them from down here.

8. Around here a adult tom goes for about $25.

Steve in NC

9. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Songster

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    a live adult tom goes for 30-45 dollars around here. We sell all of our previous years breeders for 30-35 each as a package deal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: