too many treats

Carolina Chicken Man

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Raleigh, NC
OK, I have corrected a mistake from what I have learned from this forum. I was giving my 8 week old chicks a couple of cups of scratch grains 2 times a day. I've quit doing that.

I think I may have given them too many grapes also.

Between the two, they were not eating much of their "proper" feed. I've quit doing that.

Could this also have been causing shall we say "runny poops" I notice a couple of birds doing that.

Also, I have been letting them free range for a couple hours in the afternoons when I get home. It is in a partially wooded area, and while I have observed them eating some bugs that they find, they are also eating a lot of leaves from briars and saplings (gum, oak) that have sprung up. I'm sure this is not a problem, but are they getting any nutritional value from the leaves? Is it OK if they are eating less feed because of this?

Grapes will cause runny poo...Glad you stopped the scratch, I only feed scratch grains and throw some corn out in the evenings of winter when its bitter cold to keep them warm on the roosts at night..

Free ranging is very good for them...they will catch & eat all kinds of things that add protein to their diet...This can cause them not to eat as much feed but in a good way...still keep the feed and fresh water out 24/7....

Back
Top Bottom