1. Lady Rose

Lady Rose New Egg

Jul 14, 2008
    balearics
    I started out with only 6 hens and a cockerel now it's verging on the ridiculous how do I stop them breeding.I think I have about 40:rolleyes:
    They all go into 2 coops at night but stay out all day.
    I have a lot of land but,they are rearing them everywhere.[​IMG]

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Get rid of the roosters?

Have a giant chicken yard sale?

Put contraceptives in their feed?

3. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Just take out the eggs and don't let them sit on them.
    [​IMG]

PS since they are laying eggs all around the house you have to Leave them in the coop untill they lay each morning and collect the eggs immediately.

Only then let them out once they have layed eggs.You can also get to know your land better by searching for the eggs that are hidden now.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  4. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure why it hasn't been recommended, but if you have 2 coops, why not seperate the boys from the girls?

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Collect your eggs several times a day. Put them in your fridge. Eat the eggs.

No more broody hens = no more chicks will hatch = maintain the flock size you want and need.

6. Lady Rose

Lady Rose New Egg

Jul 14, 2008
    balearics
    2 things.
    I can't stop them sitting on them because I can't find them until they arrive back with a clutch.
    And I can't take roosters out because every time I do new ones come along.[​IMG]
    And I do collect the eggs that is the ones that are in the coops which usually is only about 6.[​IMG]

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Invite the neighborhood kids over for an easter egg hunt?

(and my silly suggestions just keep a-coming)

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You are feeding feral chickens? Are they your own chickens running qwild and free?

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Do you mean that your broodies are making hidden nests outside around your property and incubating eggs there? Sometimes, all but a hiding broody comes back to the coop at night. After a few weeks, she comes strolling back home with her little family.

To stop hens incubating eggs in the coop, just collect the eggs every day. When a hen is broody, it doesn't mean she has to sit on eggs. It just means she wants to.

If they are making hidden nests out on the property, then that's tougher. I think you may need to either rehome your roosters or plan to regularly rehome, sell, give away or butcher your extra chickens. You could also think about choosing breeds that are less likely to go broody.

The best solution for you probably depends on how you feel about your chickens. For some people they are pets and for some people they aren't. I hope we can help you find a solution that works for you.

Edited to add:

I see you added more information about your situation while I was typing. [​IMG]

10. Lady Rose

Lady Rose New Egg

Jul 14, 2008
    balearics
    No they are not feral really they come back to the 2 coops I have at night but they are not shut in.
    We have a large amount of land here and they usually stay around about an acre of it.
    They all come around when I go to feed them.
    Goodness knows where the rest of the eggs are going.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by