1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

too many

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 11langenkamp_w, Aug 23, 2008.

1. 11langenkamp_w

11langenkamp_w Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    sidney, ohio
    i have 70 chickens 6 leghorns,5 barred rocks 23 golden comets, 9 white rocks, 7 black sex links, 13 red stars, 3 black rose combs and 3 hamburgs. Which ones would you keep and which ones would you get rid of?

2. willowtreecreek

willowtreecreek Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    Arkansas
    A chicken called a hamburg just seems weird! Haha!

3. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    It depends on what your goals are. Do you want a lot of eggs? Or, are you looking to keep a rare or exhibition breed? Are you planning to breed?

4. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Personally I would keep about 4 of the leghorns and a few (two or three) of the barred rocks, sexlinks, and red stars for eggs and I would defintely keep all the rose combs and hamburgs just becuase they are gorgeouse feed efficient chickens and I have a pair of hamburgs that I LOVE that i will def get more of! I would sale the rest as laying pullets and make a few months feed money off them and put the cocks in the freezer. But that is just me, you gotta figure out what your goals and plans are for them and go from there. Just depends on what you want to achieve with them.

5. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    You got a lot of Comets--I'd get rid of a few of those. Keep the Barred Rocks, they're good in cold weather. Or the Leghorns, if you want eggs.[​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

70 chickens 6 leghorns,5 barred rocks 23 golden comets, 9 white rocks, 7 black sex links, 13 red stars, 3 black rose combs and 3 hamburgs.

Depends on what you want.

Your leghorns and sexlinks (the golden/black/red ones) will be the most feed efficient as they are bred for egg production.

If you just want to keep the birds for fun, just pick your favorites.

7. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    70 chickens!!!! Holy moly and I thought I was getting carried away! I would keep the nicest ones, unless you just want eggs, then keep the leghorns for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by