Too much calcium?

desertgirl

Roo Magnet
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Albuquerque,NM
My DH bought layer pellets that say that there is no need to give supplemental calcium if you use their brand. I am for still putting calcium out and if they need it they can have it, if not,they can ignore it. Sound good? Is there any risk of the ODing on calcium?
hmm.png

I don't think it's a bad idea, although I don't think you would have to supply the extra unless you were having some kind of problem. Free choice is good, I think animals are smart about what they need I don't believe they will OD on it as long as they have a choice.

I agree with Big Dream. My layer feed say's the something. But I still have oyster shell and grit for them in case they need it or what it. It's there for them. If they don't then they don't. No harm done either way. And to reinforces what Big Dream wrote. Animals eat what they need. No OD on calcium. Because the eat to live. Unlike some of us humans who live to eat.
lol.png

My layer feed (Evergreen Eggs Plus16) also says no supplemental calcium needed; as do others. I keep oyster shell and grit available in separate bowls at all times. When they can free range, they eat some but little of these products. At times when they cannot or will not go out...such as now with ground almost completely covered by snow...the 12 will eat a bowl of each every 2 - 3 days when all they can get are pellets and treats. Don't know why, they just do...doesn't matter which layer feed I use either.

Back
Top Bottom