too much candling?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Myst4, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Is it possible to candle your eggs too much...I mean I have been doing it every night when I turn them for the last time before I go to bed. The babies have been doing great, growing and very active. I don't open my bator right up(lid off) I just slightly open it enough to get my hand in and take one egg at a time to candle. I have extremely warm hands too lol. Anyway, back to the topic. Could candling too much hurt the babies?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The biggest risk is loosing the humidity in the bator and chilling eggs if you take them out.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Yes, candling too much can cause just as many problems with a hatching as anything else...you handle the eggs too much, your temps and humidity stay down too long before coming back to normal....

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  4. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    ok thanks

5. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Handling the eggs roughly can and they say the less they are handled the better I do my eggs on days 7/10/14/18 but it's hard not to want to pick them up.

6. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    For the most part, candling is fine and doesn't harm the eggs. But, if you spin/rotate the eggs too frequently, the embryo can become tangled in the egg contents at certain stages of development, say, days 7-12 or so. So, it's best to just turn them a few times gently, get a good look and put them back.

7. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    am I candling them too much with doing it every night? The chicks seem to be doing fine.

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    day 7, 14 and 18 for candling.....

9. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    oh,and I handle them with great care,and do the candling quickly. I don't move them around too much.

10. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    You can candle every day, although it would probably be better every other day or less. Just don't rotate them over and over. And watch the temp and humidity like the others suggested.

I candle days 4 (to look for development), 10-12 (to check for blood rings or quitters), and then optionally at 15-17 (just to keep tabs).

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by