Too much chick love?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Catalina, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Is it possible to over handle chicks? I've only had my chicks for 3 days so I have zero experience.
    Two of my little cousins came over today (age 8 and 10) and they, of course, wanted to hold and play with them all the time. I made sure they kept the chicks under the heat lamp so they wouldn't get cold and told them that the chickies had to take a nap(and eat!!) every once in a while.
    Any signs to watch for- when the chicks have had enough?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    My concern would be lack of food/water/warmth. Also, careful that they don't get squeezed too hard. Children don't realize they're strength and don't mean any harm, but squeezing can stress the chicks. Other than that, I'd say handle as much as you like and enjoy them while they're small. They won't stay small long.

Also, it is important to practice good hygiene with children and chicks. Our first thought is how cute they are, but good hand washing after each cuddle is very important and smaller children need constant reminders until they get used to the practice. Good luck with your new chicks and have fun!

Jody

3. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    As long as the kids dont try to bounce them acrossed the floor, or see if they can make their eyes pop out when squeezing them, they should be alright. Our kids had their favorite chicks that they packed around. And I can tell which chicks, and chickens have been messed with a lot because they are the tamer chickens, were the others will high tail it out of your reach. And the tamer chickens are the one youll trip over when they are older, they want to stand on yur feet or try to get you to pick them up. My duaghter figured out how to get the little balls of fluff to go to sleep by gently cupping her hands around the chick and then blows lightly between her fingers. It makes them feel nice and warm, and feel like they are under their mom. But also have them do like hinkjc said and make them wash their hands at least after they hold them. If you want to insure that your chicks arent going to catch any germs off kids hands, then I would make them wash up before to.

4. chrissieg

chrissieg Chillin' With My Peeps

Make the children sit on the floor when they handle them. You don't want a chick dropped from a height - otherwise go ahead and enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by