Too much DE or fungus? updated with pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pattgal, Aug 9, 2010.

1. pattgal

pattgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    All my EE's have a whitish slightly cracked dry comb all but my roo who has black on his comb but it might be pigmentation because he is mostly black. it gets worse around their noses
    could i have put too much DE in the coop and they are getting dry? or would it be fungus?
    im out the door and will post pics later tonight

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I think I have the oppoisite problem. My roo's comb is turning purple! Hope some comb expert can help both of us! [​IMG]

3. Sweetpeaswan

Sweetpeaswan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Hi, sorry to her about your problem, are your birds getting a warty appearance?? any kind of crusting?? I see your from CA, here in the SE Valley AZ
    there has been a lot of fowl pox....my black Cochin hen started on her comb, I thought it was dry blood at first and that the girls had been picking
    on each other, then it started to look warty and crusty... before i realized what it was it was too late, all the girls got it, but it never turned to wet
    pox and they got through it. Some even got it down around their nostrils and eyes(i used some warm compresses on one girl whose eyer closed,
    and it open within the hour... then i used a new product called Vetericyn, you can use it around the eyes and nose..I also gave my girls some xtra
    vitamin supplements you can get at your feed store, it ran its course and they were ok. With regards to DE,we use it in our pens here and its pretty
    hot and dry.....maybe you could try some bag balm on their combs. Good Luck:) PS Post those pics!

4. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Im from Canada [​IMG] Im gonna clean out the coop tonight because the DE bothers me. so at the very least I wont have to wear the mask every time I go in there
    How long till I know if that was it?
    I will post pics as soon as I get home tonight.. I don't think it looks warty. just like dry skin. its why i considered DE as the problem
    (i might of gone a bit heavy on it [​IMG] )
    and its limited to the one pen where i used it the most. Ive seen one pic of fungus after doing a google search and I can't tell if it is similar. its not brown or pussy. and the only one who has black on his comb is my black roo
    the fact that they are laying in their bedding and kicking up dust all day might be another reason why

5. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    [​IMG]
    here is one of the girls. wish i could of got lucy my leghorn but she is wayy too fast

[​IMG]
    and this is my roo

not great shots but thats all I could get out of them in 10 mins

6. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Bump, Anyone?

7. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    if it is fungus is it supposed to rub off? it just comes right of with a bit of rubbing so i put Vaseline on it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by