Too much diarrhea? Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Frizzlett98, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Frizzlett98

Frizzlett98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    I have 18 chickens and I've been noticing quite a bit of diarrhea. They all act normal and seem fine but at least half of all their poos are pretty liquidy. I know it's disgusting but I've seen 2 of them poo and it makes a squirting sound. Is this normal? I found a site that showed normal and abnormal poo and all of my chickens' poos look normal compared to that. But is this too much diarrhea?

2. kittykitty30

kittykitty30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2014
    Spring Creek, Nevada
    I have the same problem. Hopefully someone will come by and explain :/

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Hot weather causes chickens to drink more water which caj cause runny loose poos.

4. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

They might have some worms. I would get a tube of fenbendazole horse wormer and give each of them a pea-sized dose, once a day for three days. Probiotics might not be a bad idea either, something with b. subtillis in it.

5. Frizzlett98

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    Well it's been hot here but not too hot. That could be it. They have been drinking a LOT of water lately. Some of their runny poos are almost clear like water. If it doesn't stop or gets worse I'll try the wormer. Thanks guys!

6. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

It doesn't hurt to deworm anyway, I keep my flock on a three month rotation- using a different dewormer every three months. This keeps my chickens and my family safer.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  7. Frizzlett98

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    Ok I didn't think about that. I guess I'll do that this weekend. Any idea how much it costs?

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  9. Frizzlett98

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    I found some stuff at my local Tractor Supply called "Rooster Booster" for poultry. I guess I'll try that. I've got to make a run for more layer feed this weekend anyway. Thanks for your help!

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    SafeGuard is a better wormer, and TSC carries it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by