Too much draft from a new door?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CarolinaCrazy, Dec 19, 2016.

1. CarolinaCrazy

CarolinaCrazy New Egg

Jan 9, 2014
    I just completed a new coop+run for my 7 birds. The entire thing is enclosed so that the birds can move between the run and coop freely w/ no threat of predators.

It is completely self-designed, and long story short, I need to re-design the ramp access. As it is, the door from the coop to the run is a hole under one of the roosting shelves, and the birds have to duck under a 12" high shelf and then hop down on to the ramp to get in and out. And coming back up there isn't enough room for them to get all the way up. It's not well designed.

My question is, - if I simply cut a new hole in the side (inside the run) and move the ramp there, so that they can go in and out, will I have to worry about it being too drafty for them? It would be a 12"x8" hole at the end opposite the nest boxes. I can close all the windows so that would be the only opening to the outside. I'm in North Carolina, so we get some below freezing nights, but not all that many. I just really want to avoid having to go and close the coop up every night.

Thanks

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Without pictures, it is slightly difficult to give exact advice. With your description, This is what comes to my mind. Block off the outside wall of the run with maybe plastic or a shower curtain. A plywood of appropriate size put up temporarily would block possible wind. Straw stacked to protect the opening from direct wind would also work.
    WISHING YOU BEST.[​IMG]

3. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    I agree....photos would help. In general, a pop hole of the type you describe should not be a problem. BTW, you do not need a ramp. If the hole is only a few feet off the ground, most birds can make that hop. A perch or landing bar or platform just outside the hole is generally all that is needed.

4. juanmbravo

juanmbravo Just Hatched

Apr 4, 2016
    I have 6x8' Coop that is inside a fenced in run that is 25x20 with dear netting over all of it and I keep the pop door open all the time except for when the nights get below 10F. My 11 girls have done just fine. Just make sure the pop door is located on the opposite side of the prevailing winds.

5. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    My coop is 6'x8' for 9 hens. It has an opening along the ridge/peak of the roof, the eaves are open, it has a pop door and 4 windows. Two of the windows are large 18"x18" canopy windows and the other 2 are 2 12"x12" regular sliding vinyl windows. They are all open so far all year. There have been nights here in Indiana with wind chill temps -30 degrees and so far they show no ill affects at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by