Too much feed for geese? & cute story

Discussion in 'Geese' started by horsefeather, Jun 17, 2011.

1. horsefeather

horsefeather Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    I have several Seb adults and 8 chicks. Before I started letting them out, I fed cracked corn and flock raiser (only kind my feed store carries). I fed quite a bit once a day. If they cleaned it up, I fed them a little more, if they left food, I cut it down some. Anyway, now I am letting them out for free grazing all day and putting them up at night. I am still feeding them the above. One of the chicks got on his/he back this morning and couldn't turn over. I helped it and discovered it was quite 'healthy' in weight. I'm pretty sure I am feeding too much. How much do those of you that turn yours out thru the day and put them up at night feed them? Also, I have 1 Seb chick that got stepped on a couple of weeks ago. He couldn't keep up so I brought him in the house. He is doing better, but now his other leg is beginning to turn in. Can I do anything to help him?
    Oh, 1 more thing. Just wanted to share a cute story. For some reason, I have 1 Seb that likes to stay either with the horses or us. He was an early chick and we raised him in the house. We did 2 that way and the other is wild as a march hare. Don't ask me why, but my hubby has named him/her Quackers (he says because he/she talks to us all the time). I went in search for him tonight and found him in the horse barn standing in front of the fan. I had to get hubby to help me put him up, he DID NOT want to go with the other geese.
  2. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    You can stop the cracked corn in the spring/summer/fall months. Cracked corn is very high in carbs and its kind of like potato chips for us with geese. It should only be given as a treat now and then. In the winter months if you live in a cold climate yo ucan resume a small bowl of cracked corn because it helps their bodies keep warm but that's the only time I feed it. It will definitely fatten them all up [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by