Too Much Food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MykeMc, Oct 16, 2011.

1. MykeMc

MykeMc Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2011
    I have seven hens and they went through a 50# sack of feed in one week? I have a automatic feeder I built, as they eat more food comes down. I notice they are scratching it out of the feeder, but there isn't 50#s laying around. I've never gone through that much feed in such a short amount of time. It has been colder this week, are they just eating more, is something getting in and eating the food or are they just scratching it out and wasting it?
    Myke

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    As it gets colder they will eat more, but they might be wasting some too. Is there a lot in the bedding?

3. MykeMc

Feb 26, 2011
    ChickieBooBoo, the feeder is out in their yard so I don't think they are carrying it in to the coop itself. In the coop I have nesting boxes on one side, haven't noticed any feed in them and roosts on the other side with pine shavings on the ground. It would be hard to find feed in the shavings, but I will look. Do you think they may be bringing some in and stashing it?

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If you truly went through 50# of feed in one week, for seven hens, there is awesome waste occurring. That could be coming from beaking/scratching it out onto the ground where the rodents or wild birds are enjoying a feast at your expense, or the rodents skip the middle man and go right to the source and feed themselves from feeder.

That equates to a full pound of feed per day, per hen. Or, 7 pounds of feed going through your feeder per day. That is easily 3 or 4 times the required amount of feed.
    There is simply no way under the sun, moon and stars an average hen as a dietary need for a pound of feed per day.

5. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    defiantly sounds like your feeding more then just 7 chickens.Maybe try putting the feed up at night.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Something is going on and it's not them eating all of that food. A lot of waste.

7. MykeMc

Feb 26, 2011
    That's what I was thinking. I haven't noticed any rodents or sign of them, but we do have a flock of blackbirds that just moved in to the neighborhood. I might need to make sure the pen is more birdproof. When I built it I was concerned with foxes. We do have a lot of squirrels, but I didn't think squirrels would go after chicken food? Thanks for the advice.
    Myke

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

That cannot possibly be the chickens eating all that feed.

9. abejita

abejita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Quote:Squirrels will definitely eat chicken food! Although, my chickens try to catch the squirrels, so the squirrels have quit coming into the chicken run!

10. Emily1220

Emily1220 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Florida
    I have caught my puppy eating the chicken food several times!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by