Too much food?

hatrabbit

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 2, 2013
Hi All,

Total newbie here, trying to figure this out on the fly (so to speak). I have 2 adult hens and just put together a PVC feeder that works great. It holds lots of feed and is available all the time in the coop. Is this bad, allowing the birds to feed all they want all the time?

Thanks

I have 2 five gallon feeders hanging in my coop at all times and this hasn't been a problem. They eat a lot more in the winter to stay warm and i wouldn't begin to know how much to feed based on size, time of year, weather, # of chickens etc So I think you are safe!....I think most people have food available at all times also.

Last edited:
I leave food in my feeder all the time. I think the reason a lot of people don't want to is because it can attract rodents. I have had mice in my coop before, but they don't eat too much!

Seriously, they may carry diseases, I'm not sure?

I have a 25lb feeder in the coop all the time...It takes them a good long while to eat it all, but its there for them when they want it...No ill has come of it so far...

I feed an all you can eat buffet lol...plus a treat bar hangs in their stall and they get treats like happy hens freeze dried worms in their toy ball to search for...I also add scrambled eggs, kale and cottage cheese to their diet 3x weekly. Perhaps I dont feed correctly but its worked for my past chickens as well as my current who ive had for a year in April :) ...

They only eat to fulfill their energy requirements and won't overeat. We feed thousands of layer hens and the amount of food and water they consume each day is very consistent only varying slightly with changes in temperature.

I agree, it's fine to offer free choice. You should, however, keep an eye on how fast the feed is going. Rodents are known for cleaning out a feeder in record time!

Two adult layers should eat around a cup of feed a day. It's not much!

We have a feeder that holds 250 pounds of feed. Laying hens are very good at managing their feed intake and don't get fat.

If, someday, you decide to raise meat birds, then you might want to look into only feeding a certain amount per day to avoid leg problems.

Back
Top Bottom