Too much grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kezzie, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    Hi, all,

I started my babies on grit a few days ago. Out of my gang of 37 hooligans, 6 are 3 and a half weeks old, 7 are 2 and a half weeks, and the rest are 1 and a half weeks. I wanted to give them the occasional treat, so I started to give them grit. I'm just using the parakeet grit from Wal-Mart. I've given them about a cup and a half at a time, and they go through it in less than 8 hours.

Are they eating too much? Should I offer it free choice or should I restrict it?

Thanks!!

p.s. I still can't interest them in actual treats yet. I tried a strawberry, a grape and some cooked pasta. They'd rather just eat the grit. [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Grit is used when chickens can't free range to help grind their food up if you are giving them treats or to help with feeds. If they free range they pick up enough small stones and pebbles in the dirt and grass to help with the process of grinding their food.

3. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    Does anyone know if they're eating too much grit or if it's okay?

4. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    I think it just makes their poo a little too hard

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I don't give it to chicks...but I only feed crumbles. Gotta figure that if they were foraging they would be picking it up though...personally I would worry as long as everything comes out okay...from the end...er...rear-end that is [​IMG] At least I think I am funny!

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Just make sure there is no calcium added to the parakeet grit. It should be fine, and my guess is they are dusting in it and scratching it all over the bottom of the brooder. I just give mine dirt... they get brood outside :p.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Mine get a dish of free choice grit. I don't start giving them grit until I give them treats of anything besides their feed. Mine eat the sand too but I do see them eating in the grit dish too.

8. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    Started mine on it last week, about the same age as yours, they ate it all FAST, I decided I'm only gonna offer it once a weekish. Mine don't care for fruit, but I brought them crickets and mealworms this weekend and suddenly they like me [​IMG] They actually come to my hand, welll some of them.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by