Too Much Grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JPinVT, May 12, 2010.

1. JPinVT

JPinVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Vermont
    Hi all! I have 24 2-1/2 week old chicks, and I put a little container of "construction sand" in their brooder on Sunday when I gave them their first treats (berries, tomato, and mixed greens). I was amazed at how quickly they all scarfed the grit down (they liked the sand more than their treats)! Their little crops looked so full! I've been giving them treats every day since then, so this morning I gave them another container of grit, which again they finished off in about 2 minutes. Is it possible to give them too much grit? Should I just always have it available to them, or how often should I be giving them some? Thanks so much for your help!

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I offer grit, which is sand in the girls pen, I think they should be okay never heard of chickens just eating grit so hopefully some one who has raised chicks more will answer soon.

3. BriteChicken

BriteChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Huntsville, Alabama
    I just started raising chicks but I did do extensive research on homemade grain mixing and I've never heard of chicks eating too much grit, it's probably just really new to them therefore they need/want more of it my chicks ate a bunch at first too in fact still do because I mix my own grains for them... Good luck!

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Watch their little bums carefully in the next day or two to see if they paste up. I had pasty butt in one of mine the other day after they'd been out playing in our sand bottomed run, and I wonder whether gorging on sand made her poops too thick to pass properly. I'm not sure it was the sand, mind you, I'm just guessing.

5. JPinVT

JPinVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Vermont
    Thanks for the advice guys! I'm such a nervous new mom! Based on my behavior with these chicks, I think my husband is terrified of what will happen when I have a human baby someday [​IMG]

6. BriteChicken

BriteChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Haha! My parents are saying the same thing I'm such a worry wart with my Pup and Chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by