Too much grit??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FallFlightFarm, Sep 12, 2010.

1. FallFlightFarm

FallFlightFarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    Sorry, another newbie question... I have 4 chickens (including a roo) that are all just approaching laying age (roo is same age minus the laying [​IMG] ) The are just finishing the bag of chick starter and will transition to laying ration in the next week (just got my first eggs this week! [​IMG] ) I also throw out maybe 1 1/2 cups of Purina's Scratch Grains for them to hunt for each day.

Now, they have a run of about 5' x 15' and so they scratch around all day, and I have been offering free choice grit, but it seems like they eat a LOT of it!! Can they eat too much? The dish had been empty for 3-4 days (I know, my bad [​IMG] ) I had actually filled it, but forgot to put it back in the coop.... [​IMG] So last night, I put it in the coop when I locked them up for the night, and this morning it was EMPTY. Not spilled, either. There had to be at least a cup's worth, if not more in it! Should I refill it today and assume they are "caught up"?? Your thoughts??

Thanks!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The crop holds a fair amount of grit, which I'm sure you know they need to grind other foods. I was surprised how much grit was in there when I cut into one during processing.

Let's hope they were just in need, and are catching up. They do pass some, so need to replace it, too.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My chickens eat out of the grit bowl a lot! I have seen tiny chicks (days old) overdoing it on grit but not older chicks. So I sprinkled it on like salt when they were tiny (my hatchery's instructions).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by