1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

too much heat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by scubasandy, Aug 25, 2007.

1. scubasandy

scubasandy New Egg

Aug 25, 2007
    Arizona
    We are researching getting three baby chicks here in Phoenix Arizona. I've seen lots of postings about keeping them warm, but can full grown chickens make it through an Arizona summer without a cooler or fan? It gets to 110 degrees in the shade, but the humidity is very low. Thanks!

2. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    We used to keep lots of chickens in Phoenix. We would get the chicks along about the second or third week of September. They went straight into the tractor. At night, we would just herd them into a box in the back of it and close it up with a board and a brick. Then, first thing in the morning we would move the tractor to a fresh patch of grass and then remove the board and brick.

When they were about six weeks old, they went into a chicken yard.

You have to make sure they have a lot of shade and cool water in the summer. Turn on a lawn sprinker a couple of times a day in the summer.

Look out for house cats, dogs and hungry neigbors. Also, in the city limits you can have up to twenty hens, but the hen house has to be 25 feet from any inhabited structure.

Look out for nosey neighbors. I am not sure where you live in Phoenix. From my experience, the less White folks you have living around you, the better your poultry will be accepted.

Rufus

3. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Depending on where in Phoenix or one of the outlying cities you cannot have roo's in town, (some of the towns, just check with the city code offices)
    As far as the winter I have a friend who has 12 in Glendale (no roosters) and they do fine in the winter and in the summer she puts out a mister for them. But you do have to really make sure they are secured as there are many many hungry cats and dogs running loose.
    Jacie

4. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Also, remember during monsoon the humidity can get very high and that does seem to stress them more.

5. scubasandy

scubasandy New Egg

Aug 25, 2007
    Arizona
    Thank you. We actually live in South Scottsdale so we are aware of the no rooster rule and have permission from our adjacent neighbors all around us. They are actually excited as I enticed them with "organic" eggs.

We're planning to make a predator-proof tractor/coop for when we are at work because we live close to Papago Mountain and there are even coyotes, owl and hawks in the area.

Silly question, but should the lawn sprinkler get them wet, or just if they want to get wet (ie: half of the tractor or coop)? Does any one breed do better in Az? I've heard smaller hens do better in the heat.

Thanks

6. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    Hi and welcome. I live in Glendale and just got my babies. i figured that by getting them now they would have time to get fat and feathery before it gets cold. Last winter was really cold. Where are you planning to get your chicks? Also you mentioned organic eggs, I want that but the feed you buy from the local stores isn't organic so that means the eggs wont be organic. Do you know where to get organic feed locally? I would appreciate any info. If you decide to order from a hatchery you might consider checking out Pratts, it's in Glendale but the chicks come in every week and you will save a bundle on shipping, wont have to wait, can pick the ones you want, and wont get any roos for warmth.

7. scubasandy

scubasandy New Egg

Aug 25, 2007
    Arizona
    Thanks for the welcome. I didn't mean official organic eggs. I figure if I'm giving the hens some healthy snacks, the eggs will be healthier than store bought. I've heard of Pratt's, but found a place called Gordon's that gets chicks every Thurs and Fri closer to my house. We're shooting for October to get the babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by