Too much ice to go out!! Not used to this in the UK!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by jacyjones, Jan 5, 2009.

1. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Wow!! We can't get out of the village for sheet ice today. All on an extra day's holiday and loving it!! The temp is -5 C and we are struggling to keep the water unfrozen for the animals - I appreciate all the talk of heated waterers now. This is so unusual for us but it is nice to have no rain - I just hope none of us falls and breaks a bone - I have been banned from our path for that reason!!
    Not sure when it will thaw but we have enough food for now!

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    We were in the North York Moors last night. It did snow in the night, but then froze hard. Getting up the bank out of the hotel was a thrill. [​IMG]

3. little horse

little horse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    centerville texas
    i am from england living in texas and you are making me homesick! hope you are having a lovely time.

4. Hattie the Hen

Hattie the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

We have had snow here too!It was -8% this morning and then it started to snow over the frost and ice----Nasty!! My chickens refused to come out for a long while. Now it's bright sunshine but still freezing. I keep going out with fresh water and treats --they are all outside now except for my 3 vain Roos who retire indoors whenever something threatens to ruffle their beautiful feathers!!!! They are all eating for England at the moment!!!But still no eggs!

5. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    We had the same thing here in Cheshire, but I braved it to take my son to the school bus at 7.15am this morning...brrrrr.....could not drive over 15 mph...scary stuff for we English.

Then at 9.00am when I went to let all my girls out..one of my hens had frozen to death!!! The flock are in stables 12 x 12 with deep litter straw beds and are warm and snuggly...glass in the windows etc.....but she still died.....she had decided to sleep next to he stable door...

6. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh DRAT!! Poor girl! Silly chickens once they get sleepy they just don't move.... *sigh* I hope your cold snap doesn't last long. [​IMG]

7. Hattie the Hen

Hattie the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Englishchick I'm so sorry!--It's so upsetting and you always blame yourself. I've got my girls and their young plus their guardian Roo in a small space which is a bit small but I'm not separating the 3 Dorkings until this cold weather is over.They all love to cuddle up to each other. I've got an 8'x4' shed ready for them. They are huge at 25 weeks and look very funny beside their foster mother, a miniature White Rock. She rules the roost along with her mate who is also a MWR.

8. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Sometimes it's hard to tell if the chicken froze before or after it died. Regardless, some chickens aren't too bright and will roost outside even when given better shelter. I guess it's one way to weed out the weaker specemins in your flock.

The wind is not northerly up here. That's when it gets brutally bitter. It's still coming from inland now, so I don't think it will get too much colder. When the notherlies come in, though, I don't think I've ever been as cold as I was here on the North Sea.

9. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Quote:When do you go back home? Hope the weather does not mean you are unable to travel when the time comes!!

10. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    We leave from London next Sunday. We'll be down in Herefordshire Thursday and Friday nights attempting to catch-up with about 30 relatives I have down there. One things is for certain. There will be cider and perry involved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by