Too much information?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jay1105, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Jay1105

Jay1105 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    San Antonio
    Hey all. I am new to chickens and already addicted! I have 8 pullets and have had them for 4 weeks now. They are EE's and growing fast, they are just over five weeks now. I heard the hatcheries are usually about 90% accurate in sexing the chicks when selling them as pullets vs. straight run. I think they were drunk when sexing mine! I have one crowing already, a pretty sorry excuse for a crow but definatley a crow. One has a huge three row pea comb comming in bright red. I have read here about the rounded vs. the pointed hackle feathers, the larger feet, multiple rows on the pea comb, tail feathers. I think hen one day and then it crows the next. My head is swimming... My question is: Should I just wait to see if I get a crow or an egg or does someone have any suggestions on sexing these kids? I dont have a use for more than one roo since I am raising these chickens for eggs. If I had to make an educated guess as to the sexes of these chicks I am at 50/50. What to do, what to do...

2. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    Post Picks And Let Everyone See.

3. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    are you sure they are crowing? kinda early for that IMO...

take pics and we'll see what we can find out!!!

My roo just started really crowing and he's 18 weeks...

some of my hens clucks kinda sound like growly when they were younger...

PICS please!!

4. Jay1105

Jun 6, 2011
    San Antonio
    I am a "new egg" and dont think that is an option at this point. Or I just cant figure out how to uploda a photo. I have uploaded the pictures but cant seem to post them. Any suggestions?

5. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    I think you have to hit 10 posts???

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Chicks can crow at 2 days of hatching. My neighbor picked a rooster barred rock from the pullet bin. I hear of so many people being stuck with roosters. I was very lucky and don't have roosters(even from straight run bin), but if I did, I'd put an add in the paper right away. The other option is to send them to the freezer camp. EE's are pretty easy to sex. It sounds like you may have 2 boys.

8. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG]

EE can be hard to sex if you do not have a lot of experience with them. They like breaking the rules. I have a little EE with pointed hackles, rooey tail, upright stance, and a very bold personality. It is a pullet.

I also have a silkie x EE with many rooey features. My mother swears she has seen her crow. She raises her hackles and even chest bumps the cat. [​IMG] She is definately a pullet.

You will be able to post pics on the forum soon. We have a few members who are very good and sexing EEs, often just by coloring. [​IMG]

9. Jay1105

Jun 6, 2011
    San Antonio
    Here is amber, I think a name change to "Bobby Q" is in order.

[​IMG]

10. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Quote:That is a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by