Too much light = Cannibalism

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by poussin_noir, Jun 15, 2008.

1. poussin_noir

poussin_noir Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Katrine, Ontario
    I am getting my first chicks ever on Wednesday and have been trying to read up as much info on here, and learn from other mistakes hopefully.

Something that has confused me is when I checked out some info on a couple of hatchery sites it say that "too much light may contribute to cannibalism and depress the chick's immune system, making it more susceptible to disease."
    This also confuses me??
    "Start baby chicks with continuous light for 4 days, and then introduce them to a day-and-night routine."

Now the room I have my brooder set up has windows and a lot of natural indirect light.
    Now this has me thinking should I move my brooder to a darker room so I have more control of the light they get?
    Any advice is appreciated. [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Ive raised chicks in my brooder with a 125 white heat lamp since I started brooding babies. Never had any instance of cannibalism and I've never done a day/night thing. The light was on 24/7. Crowding is more likely to cause cannibalism, IMO. I leave the light in the bsmt bathroom, where the brooder is, during the day, but the heat lamp provides lots of light at night when I turn out the room lights.

3. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    From what I understand from old-timers, a white light is more likely to highlight every little speck of dust, etc. provoking the chicks to pick at it no matter where it is. One thing leads to another and the next thing you know someone's bleeding. But, I've raised my latest batch with a white light and they're all fine. I did use a red light with my now 8 week olds. When I switched to white light at about 5 weeks I did notice more pecking, but again nothing harmful. Just chasing dust. I've kept the lights on 24/7 for warmth. I'd be more concerned with overcrowding than lighting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by