too much light?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goddesses, Dec 12, 2008.

1. goddesses

goddesses Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2008
    Our pullets began laying on THanksgiving. We have a light on a timer so they get 15 hours of light each day. Well, it has turned very cold, so the light is now on 20 out of 24 hours. These 6 pullets are now all laying 6 eggs every day!

I dont know if pullets just initially lay more or if it is the light that is causing it. We can go to a heat lamp, but that is a form of light so wonder if it would make a difference.

Mother Hen

2. chicken farmer meigs

chicken farmer meigs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    Florence Mt.
    I have my hens on 12-13 hrs of white light. Then for warmth I use an infra-red heat lamp so as the dont get 24 hrs of white light. Plus it cast a nice red glow in the hen house at night so I can check on them with out bright light.

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    There are lots of personal ideas about light and using it to promote laying. A few things:

The addition of over 17 hours of light doesn't seem to be of benefit in increasing commercial egg production. And, too bright of lights causes bad behavior.

What Virginia Tech says about light for the small flock person is that 24 hours of light isn't a problem if the light output is low. But, low watts mean low heat unless we are talking about infra-red bulbs. Otherwise, they recommend:

"In birds 12 weeks of age or older, use 15 or 25 watt bulbs above feeding and watering areas. Don't light fowl more than 16 hours per day. Constant light can be stressful to the birds."

I think this is good advice.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by