Too much loving for this hen?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by southernsibe, Dec 10, 2007.

1. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    I have a red sex link that all the roosters love. I have managed to keep my roo's and they actually get along. I have other hens, but for some reason they prefer this one. The other hens leave her alone, but she is bald on her neck and back. A lot of broken feathers too. I had hoped with moulting it might have gotten better, but it seems to be just as bad now, and the new feathers never had a chance to grow in. Is there anything I can do other then a saddle? I don't think it will cover the right places all the way up to her neck, and I am afraid it will make her a target for the other hens. I don't have any blue cote, and probably won't be able to get any very soon, so any ideas other then that are great.
    Thanks
    Rachel

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    sometimes if it gets real bad. I seperate the hen from the roo's for a while till she has her feathers back.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I had an over roo abused hen. I put her with the babies and after a month of gobbling up high protein grower, she turned back into a big fluff ball.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by