Too much or too little humidity?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, May 25, 2010.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok - So ill be going into lock down tommorrow and have a question -

Last month I had a bator full of eggs and had five hatch out, I never added water. My temps were always steady and my hygrometer said my humidit was %65 - 70% ( without me adding ANY water)

But my ducklings came out sticky and I had to help some of them hatch because they couldnt move in teh eggs.

Did I need to add water or was there too much humidity already??

The eggs i have in the bator now are all mine so I dont have to worry about popped or messed up air cells and they seem to be developing although i havent been able to see much since the eggs are so dark.

Last hatch they were hatching on there own without problems - then i started getting worried and all and added water , causing the humidity to go up and I think m eggs got sticky then.

HELP!!!!!

2. donniedarko

donniedarko Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2010
    Sounds like your humidity levels were a bit high.

Rule of thumb, imho, if your worried about humidity...less is better.

3. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Im such a worry wart. id hate to have too little humidity and the membrane shrink wrap , but at the same time i dont want to ahevt oo much and have them drown. UGH!

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I keep my humidity at 75%. They always look like they are sticky or wet when they come out, but it prevents them from sticking to the egg or shrink wrapping in the membrane. They will dry off and the feathers will be fluffy in no time.

Forgot to mention that the humidity will go up when they start to hatch. That's when you need to pull the plugs. I have an air circulated machine, which means I can also interrupt the lock down and let air into the machine by opening. The heat will be back up in minutes. I would not suggest that with still air incubators.
    Katharina

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  5. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Thats what I mean - WHen they came out thery were like STICKY! like the yolk and stuff on the inside was sticky. when they dried up the feathers were all hard and nasty. Usually i let my mama's hatch out all the eggs but ive hatched a few out in my bator but still not used to it. These eggs were all in one nest from four or five of my girls and my stupid muscovy drake climbed in there and screwed up the nest. So I put them in the bator .

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

My last duck hatch was around 80% and they werent sticky.

7. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I have mine at 70% for duck eggs and they come out fine...sounds like your hygrometer isn't showing correct readings

8. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks you guys!

I think Im going to watch the hatch and if they start comming out weird ill either add a little bit of water or more than likely open the bator up for five seconds to let some of the air out. like when a mama stands up on the nest.

9. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Regardless of what the humidity was - a slightly low temp can also cause them to hatch sticky. Have you calibrated your thermometer lately to check that it is reading correctly?

10. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    No [​IMG]

Unfortunantly I have cheap hygrometers and thermometers. I plan on getting a new set oonce my wallet has alittle more in it.

Im in lockdown now, so I guess ill just see what happpens. Ill keep yall posted !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by