Too much outside time?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Yardbirds286, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    My seven week old girls love spending time in their new yard. The are out there for long periods of time weather permitting. Is there such a thing as too much time outside at that age? They have plenty of shade, food, water, and bugs to keep them busy. They just love it out there. My five week olds go out for shorter periods of time, and they all come in to their brooders in the evening. Just wondering. [​IMG]

2. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    As long as they're safe, I don't think it's a problem.

3. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Its hot here in south Texas and mine have been outside since they were 9 days old. They are 7 weeks old now and they love it outside, too. They go into their little coop at night all by themselves. They are such a joy....

4. nuts4hotwheels

nuts4hotwheels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Quote:I live in Kemah, TX which is close to Houston. My chicks are 4 weeks old and have been outside for a week. They go into their coop when it gets dark and wait for me to lock it up at night.

5. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    If they were out and about with their mother they would most likely be out all day.

6. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:My son lives in League City, Tx - I KNOW its hot where you are too. Its amazing how the little things just know to go in at night! How do they know that??

7. nuts4hotwheels

nuts4hotwheels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The first night, they were really scared and running around the run peeping like crazy. I picked them up and put them inside and locked it up and the next day they started going in on their own. They needed their dad (me) to show them the first time.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by