1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too much oyster shell?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by The goose girl, Oct 26, 2011.

1. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    My goose is laying - again - but most eggs are either shellless or have a very thin shell.

She has access to crushed oyster shell but she rarely touches it.
    I've tried mixing it in her feed every evening (during the day she grazes), but every morning the food pellets are gone from the bowl, leaving only a pile of oyster shell.
    She's excellent at sorting... [​IMG]

Then I baked her some treats out of flour, oatmeal and oyster shell. And guess what - she loves them!
    But now that I'm tricking her into eating the oyster shell, I'm concerned that she'll eat more than her system can handle.

Is there such a thing as "too much oyster shell"? Or will the excess just pass through?

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I have heard that there can be too much of a good thing so to speak...you may try giving her some suplements that help her absorb calcium better (like vitamin D) rather than just forcing more calcium into her...or giving her leafy greens that have lotsa calcium like kale. She may like the taste of kale better...and regulate her consumption of calcium better too.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  3. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Thank you for your answer, kari_dawn!

I'm pretty sure kale is not an option. She hardly even touched it last winter when it was the only green thing in sight.
    She did spend hours playing with the stalk, though!

I'll check out vitamin D.

I don't really mind the shellless eggs, but I'm worried one will burst inside her and cause infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by