Too much pouncing!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CaliBlueChicken, May 24, 2010.

1. CaliBlueChicken

CaliBlueChicken Songster

Jul 18, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I have 2 orpington hens and 1 roo. They hang out together. I also have 5 australorp pullets about 16 weeks old. They hang out together. I got the australorops after the orpingtons. The two flocks are starting to mingle more. I slowly introduced them in different pens so they could see eachother and then monitored them all together in the yard, now they are all free roaming in the yard. This process I did over about a month till they all were okay with being in the yard together. My poor Orp hens are getting thier feathers on thier backs worn out from the roo pouncing them. My question is will he pounce the Australorps when they are mature to even out the pouncing. I feel bad for my girls. Because right now he predominatly hangs out with his Orp hens. Hmmm.....[​IMG]

2. Ga.chickenman

Ga.chickenman Songster

Apr 15, 2009
    Vidalia
    I'd say, Yes!! [​IMG]

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Songster

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Probably, but sometimes they continue to over-breed their favorites. Do a search on hen saddles, I know there are people on here that sell them and I believe there are several patterns available too--including a no-sew fleece one.

4. CaliBlueChicken

CaliBlueChicken Songster

Jul 18, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:Oh thank you, the no-sew fleece sounds like a quick affordable fix. Thank you both for your input [​IMG]

5. CaliBlueChicken

CaliBlueChicken Songster

Jul 18, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:Oh Cool thanks! Pictures help. I like the fleece idea, I am going to go and see if I can find any on sale. Well, I guess my Roo Just has his favorties [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by