Too much protein? Will it hurt my ducks?!

mamaof2wi

Songster
6 Years
May 11, 2016
West Central Wisconsin
I had a nutritionist recommended a feed for my baby ducks (started at 1 week old and they are now 4 weeks still on same bag of food) it is a 24% protein and everywhere I read said they should be at a lower level? He then told me to go to the next feed down after I feed this bag out and that is a 19%. Is this to much protein? Will it hurt them? I still have half a bag left of the 24%.

Last edited:
love.gif

I added one part rolled oats (not instant) per four parts higher protein duckling crumbles, then put vitamins in their water once a week since the only starter I could find was about 27% protein.

love.gif

I added one part rolled oats (not instant) per four parts higher protein duckling crumbles, then put vitamins in their water once a week since the only starter I could find was about 27% protein.

Thanks for taking the time to help me! I was going to add rolled oats but did not want to take away from the other nutritional value. I was just hoping to know if it is ok to be feeding this high for this long.

My chicks started on 28% protein for a good 10 weeks because LFS said that's what they use. Short term I think it's ok, I think as long as they are growing, growing in feathers or molting. Long term say when they are full grown, too much protein can cause gout. I bought a lower protein feed and mix half and half to end up in the middle.

I am not familiar with ducks but I know chickens require way less.

Your babies are adorable.
love.gif

Good luck!

My chicks started on 28% protein for a good 10 weeks because LFS said that's what they use. Short term I think it's ok, I think as long as they are growing, growing in feathers or molting. Long term say when they are full grown, too much protein can cause gout. I bought a lower protein feed and mix half and half to end up in the middle.

I am not familiar with ducks but I know chickens require way less.

Your babies are adorable.
love.gif

Good luck!
Thank you so much for helping me out! Once this bag is done I will go to a 19% unless others think I should go lower.

Thanks we love them :)

Back
Top Bottom