Too much protein? Will it hurt my ducks?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mamaof2wi, Jun 29, 2016.

1. mamaof2wi

mamaof2wi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2016
    West Central Wisconsin
    I had a nutritionist recommended a feed for my baby ducks (started at 1 week old and they are now 4 weeks still on same bag of food) it is a 24% protein and everywhere I read said they should be at a lower level? He then told me to go to the next feed down after I feed this bag out and that is a 19%. Is this to much protein? Will it hurt them? I still have half a bag left of the 24%.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  2. mamaof2wi

May 11, 2016
    West Central Wisconsin
    Thought I would add a pic so you can see what they look like...
    [​IMG]

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

I added one part rolled oats (not instant) per four parts higher protein duckling crumbles, then put vitamins in their water once a week since the only starter I could find was about 27% protein.

4. mamaof2wi

May 11, 2016
    West Central Wisconsin
    Thanks for taking the time to help me! I was going to add rolled oats but did not want to take away from the other nutritional value. I was just hoping to know if it is ok to be feeding this high for this long.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There are different opinions about protein and angel wing, actually. Don't know if a.w. is your main concern.

6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

My chicks started on 28% protein for a good 10 weeks because LFS said that's what they use. Short term I think it's ok, I think as long as they are growing, growing in feathers or molting. Long term say when they are full grown, too much protein can cause gout. I bought a lower protein feed and mix half and half to end up in the middle.

I am not familiar with ducks but I know chickens require way less.

Your babies are adorable. [​IMG]

Good luck!

7. mamaof2wi

May 11, 2016
    West Central Wisconsin
    Ok I didnt know that is what could cause AW..thanks I will keep an eye on that.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  8. mamaof2wi

May 11, 2016
    West Central Wisconsin
    Thank you so much for helping me out! Once this bag is done I will go to a 19% unless others think I should go lower.

Thanks we love them :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by