1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too much protein?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dulcimer lady, Nov 10, 2010.

1. dulcimer lady

dulcimer lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Someone suggested to me that my little chicken's bowel blockage (posted about it in the managing your flock section) may be due to too much protein in the layer feed. I'm feeding her layer feed even though I don't *think* she lays eggs. (Only had her 2 days.) But she is malnourished and basically didn't grow. She's about the size of a baseball and she was born in May or June. I was feeding her the same feed my other chickens get. Should I switch her over to a feed for a younger chicken?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Do you know how old she is?

If she is young the calcium in the layer could do her in. Layer is not usually very high in protein, around 14%; game bird, for comparison, is around 24%. If she is a mystery chicken I'd give starter or grower as it won't hurt them at any age; it's around 18%.

Might want to give a little oil and yogurt to get her digestion moving better.

3. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sorry, missed thee May or June. I still wouldn't feed layer til I knew she was laying.

Ordinarily you would want to feed more, not less, protein to a malnourished chicken. Guess the first order of business is getting the bowel unblocked, though. Castor oil comes to mind; given for several reasons including laxative.

4. dulcimer lady

Apr 22, 2010
    I like the yogurt idea. I actually give that to my chickens quite often. It's hard to know what to do with this little chicken because she's not your normal average chicken. She wasn't taken care of at all so she never developed normally so what you would expect of one her age is not what she is. I have raised many animals of different kinds in my day and I have never had one as fragile as this chicken.

5. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sounds to me like you have what it takes to do an excellent job for her! Poor thing. I wondered how you knew she had a bowel blockage, unless there is just no poop at all. I have a feeling you could educate us, not the other way around....

I do know there are people on here who would tell you that castor oil will save her. At least it's an old-time remedy; sometimes those are the best, I think. I'd be using yogurt and/or other probiotics, for sure, and maybe the castor oil as well, at least one small dose.

Wonder if she also has something genetic, something like what led to bantams, as I gather they were bred from "normal" chickens. How sad if it's just neglect! And good for you for tackling this situation.

Best of luck.

6. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    could you try baby food prunes? I hope she's doing OK!

7. dulcimer lady

Apr 22, 2010
    Ladies and gentelmen, we have poop! Lol...but yes, it's obvious from her bedding that she is now going to the bathroom. I'm keeping an eye on her, she has her yogurt and crumble if she wants it and I slathered her rear end in Preparation H. Not much more I can do but just give her some time.

8. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Tell her congratulations!

9. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Young birds should have higher protein than layers!!!!!!
    Starter and grower is around 20% layer is less.

My personal opinon is soy based feeds cause sticky poo.

This is just my opinon, but get her off the chemical laden feed, get her a more natural whole grain living food diet... Make sure she has grit too...

Poor thing

ON

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by