1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too Much Pumpkin?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickenJill, Nov 11, 2010.

1. ChickenJill

ChickenJill Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    I just came across free pumpkins. Can feed them daily all winter, or would this be too much of one food?

2. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I am assuming you are giving it to them as a treat and not as their regular food. I am not sure if it would be too much pumpkin for them but I bet they would stop eating it. I have given mine several pumpkin and they eat the first ones very well and then a week later I gave them three more but they have hardly touched it. So I think they would just stop eating it before it became too much.

3. WildflowerJLH

WildflowerJLH Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a pumpkin patch this year. What I have been doing (this is what I would do if I found free pumpkins, too) is baking 2 each day to make pumpkin puree. I give the chooks the parts that I would normally put into compost. This way, I don't have to buy any pumpkin puree for baking, and they are not getting so much that stop eating it.

4. ChickenJill

ChickenJill Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    how do you make pumpkin puree?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by