Too much rain - coop swollen shut!

MiniDriver

Songster
12 Years
Nov 15, 2007
Massachusetts
We've had a ton of rain this summer, and in the past few days we've had more rain. The wood has gotten so wet and swollen with water that I have to pry the doors open and hammer them shut.

coop7wks.jpg

Our ideas;
1) Paint the wood to keep it from absorbing so much moisture. (of course, this will mean waiting for a few days without rain!)

b. Attach an eave to the roof to drain more rainwater away from the doors. The roof is already angled, but maybe a longer overhang will help.

iii - dunno, what do you think?

Last edited:
pop.gif

I am having the same problem here in NY.My coop has only been open for businees for about a week.
pop.gif
I am waiting with you.

Well I like the natural look of that wood on your coop it is very nice, You could try several things first to see if these help, which i think they will. Buy a door/window galvanized metal drip edge and nail it into place just above the door/window on the jam. this will keep allot of excess water off of the end grain of the wood, which works like a wick to suck in moisture. then i would pull the door and shave 1/16th of an inch off from all around the door, this wood will expand and contract with the seasons anyway, you just need a tad bit more clearance in the fit. next i would buy a gal of Thompsons water seal, put it in your garden tank sprayer and apply this will really help a bunch. I think with these small adjustments your coop will be in great working shape, just remember if you don't do any of it the entire wood surface will deteriorate from rot much faster. it looks as though you have not cut any corners on this project, so for less than $ 20.00 your done BOTTA BING.

I hope this helps
AL

I like your coop - the natural wood is so pretty.

Did you shellac the wood really well or use clear deck stain to waterproof it?

Back
Top Bottom