Too much rain in Northern California

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cherylcohen, Oct 15, 2009.

1. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    After the deluge we got this week, I'm trying to rethink how to cover the run? We use straw in teh run and now it's all soggy and smelly. I'm thinkng of getting some sod and putting that in half the coop, but wondering if there are any cool ideas about covering it so it reamins dry. Are there any ideas out there?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Have you had a look at my muddy run page (link in .sig below), there are a lot of things you can do in addition to covering the run. Although of course that *too* if you wish [​IMG]

Good luck,

Pat

3. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    yes I did a couple of days ago! thanks but still needing different ideas

4. rottdog

rottdog Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    birdville,florida
    you could dig up dirt from another part of your yard to raise the floor of your pen so it is higher than the surrounding area so the water has to drain out, or you can add more sand

5. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    put a layer of gravel, then a thick layer of dirt
    You can put a 'french drain' through the run too on the lower parts running out of the run
    I have a pvc pipe buried in my yard in a trench filled with gravel, pvc is drilled with holes on the top to let water in. It runs on a slight incline to the egde of the yard
    but if you raise the whole run with gravel and dirt, it can just let out through a SCREENED area to lower ground

my 2 cents

6. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    We bought three yards of sand to cover our 13X15' run. It is damp after the almost three inches we got, but no mud.

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I no longer live in northern Ca, But I grew up there and understand the issues the hardpan creates.
    I have to say if I were raising chickens there I would put in a french drain with a layer of gravel over it and then a thick layer of sand to cover it up and raise the level of the run.

8. naturegrrl

naturegrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I'm in Santa Cruz, CA, and even though we have a covered run, all that sideways rain definitely got in! We had just recently put about 2-3 in of coarse playground sand over the top of the dirt (clay) floor, and it worked great as a rain-proof floor covering - it got damp (still is a bit, but mostly dried out), but it never got soggy and no puddles formed. I'm planning to put down another few inches of sand once the run dries out completely.

9. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    so what happens when the chickens are scratching. Mine love the dirt because they can find little bugs, treats etc. Will they eat the sand?

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes, but it doesn't hurt them at all. Coarse sand will also act like fine, short-lived grit.

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by