Too Much Sex? And, Laying Eggs in Winter...

spinn

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 15, 2010
Hi everyone. Forgive me for the long post... I have many "related" questions.
hu.gif

I'll give some background info, and then post the questions at the end...

Of our 4 girls ducks, 2 are laying. One (Buff) is laying nearly every day (for about 3 weeks now). Our Pekin just began to lay last week...and we are finding an egg from her about every other day. The other 2 girls (Cayuga and Runner) are just barely 6 months old. They aren't laying. The Runner spent the last 2 months chasing one of our drake drucks from morning to night with her head bouncing low and to the side, with the "huh huh huh" courting quack. We were certain she was getting ready to ovulate/lay. But, lately...this behavior has died way down from her. Our Cayuga could care less about the drakes. She only gets excited about sex when other ducks are doing it. She'll run over, bobbing her head and making noise and get right up close "to watch".

We are getting daylight from 7:30 to 5:30 now. (10 hours) Temps are dropping to below freezing some nights. (25-35, typical low). In a few weeks our lows will get down into the single digits at times, and more often than not will be in the teens to 20's at night. Some days won't warm up over freezing, but they will be most likely, clear and sunny. The ducks "free range" our back yard during the day...so, they are out in whatever sun light is available. I live in Southern Idaho....so, the suns' rays here aren't the strongest. We do however get a LOT of really sunny (just really cold) winter days. I'm under the impression that the amount of daylight (suns rays) is what affects the regulation of the girls hormones and ovulation. Does temperature matter as well?

More questions:
hmm.png

My "gut" is suspecting that maybe our Runner and Cayuga won't start to lay until Spring. I'm wondering though... What is everyone's experience with these particular breeds coming into winter just barely of "laying" age? Is it likely that the Buff and Pekin will keep laying for awhile, since they just started?

And...

How much sex (times a day) is too much for a girl duck?

About 2 weeks ago, both of our male ducks started paying way more attention to our Pekin. Then, about a week into that, she started to lay. The boys will still get on the other girl ducks. But...they started actually chasing the Pekin down and just "taking her" without the typical courting and head bobbing that usually takes place when it feels like the decision to mate has been more mutual. She will flatten out for them sometimes. But, mostly, she just runs from them. I have been keeping a close eye on her/them. If I've seen a total of 4 matings in one day... I've been separating them. I'll put her and another girl inside the gated "duck" portion of the yard. And leave the rest on the outside of the gate. She quacks and gets upset about this. But... They are willing to be on her constantly right now! Also, when either boy mates one of the other girls, the boy not doing the mating doesn't pay attention. But, if one of them mates our Pekin...the other has to run over and bite at her neck and head too...like he's "helping". Sometimes they both try to get on her. But, not too often.

Before the Pekin started ovulating, the girls would follow the boys around begging for attention and sex. Mostly, to be ignored! I might see any one girl get mated twice in a day. And, sometimes, not that often.

Is the draw to a newly ovulating duck stronger when she first goes into lay?

And, I though a drake duck was supposed to basically "lose" his penis for the "off" season! ??? (that it either shrinks way down, or actually falls off until the next Spring)

Shouldn't the whole mating thing die way down for awhile about now?

We took their "pond" away last week...which is helping. Now they just have small tubs to drink out of and wash up in. Fresh water in those still excites them. But, they aren't big enough to mate in.

Thanks for any info/experience you can share!

spinn

I've decided that ducks are about the horniest little critters that I've ever encountered up close and personal! Who knew?
roll.png

Last edited:
I'm hoping my runner mix is shooting blanks because he's been mounting my rouen girl again several times a day, in/out of water now. But if she lays, I guess I'll have eggs to eat over the winter and will make great holiday baking. Won't tell anyone unless they comment on how good it tastes and what I used or did different.
wink.png
Your ducks could be going through the motions but no fertility. I don't know, I thought my male would calm down until spring. But then we just had a Indian Summer a few weeks ago and that is when it started, so I'm wondering if that sccrew them up.

Yeah, it's weird. I'd say things are way more "amped up" now than they were a few weeks ago when it was nicer.
roll.png

spinn

Back
Top Bottom