Too Much Shade in AZ?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foghornleghorn9, Nov 10, 2013.

1. foghornleghorn9

foghornleghorn9 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Hi, I'm new to chickens and am about to build a new coop. The coop will be 8'x8' and about 7' high. I am considering putting one side along a 7' high cement wall. In this position the coop won't get much sun. I will be building a long run that will easily be in the sun. I am trying to keep the birds cool in the summer but am concerned that they will never have sun in the coop itself, including during the winter. I am located in N. Phoenix. I would really appreciate any advice/suggestions. Thank you very much.

TD

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Hi & [​IMG],
    Your chickens will be outside during the day. I think having the coop in the shade would be a good plan living in AZ. Chickens handle cold temps pretty well as long, as they aren't in a draft. Heat is much harder for them to deal with so, they will need shade during the day. You could put your coop up on legs. They can go under it for shade and they would love it when it rains or snows. Good Luck.

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Greetings and [​IMG] fried green eggs gave good advice. In my opinion it would be best here in AZ if the coop never gets direct sunlight and if only a portion of the run gets some sunlight. During the hotter months of the year they will prefer spending most of their time in the shade so the usable portion of the run will be determined by how much shade it gets. Come join us in the AZ thread, where you'll meet lots of other folks raising chickens in our unusual climate.

4. foghornleghorn9

Jan 2, 2013
    Thank you very much. I am trying to pre-plan as much as possible. With the great weather we have been having it's easy to forget about how hot it actually gets in the summer out here. I guess I will leave the coop in the shade and have the run cover the sun and shade. Thanks again.

Foghorn Leghorn 9

5. foghornleghorn9

Jan 2, 2013
    Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I'm gonna go with the coop in the shade and the run in the sun and shade. Thanks again.

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    If you're still in the planning stages, then now is the perfect time to bounce your ideas off us in the AZ thread. Come look at coops of people that live here as you plan. Good for you for planning ahead!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by