Too much snow...

Frosty

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 30, 2008
ND
We've had more snow than this year before, but for some reason today it was a problem... the roof collapsed on the building that I had the turkeys in. It was one of those metal storage buildings that you get from home improvement stores. I could see the heritage turkeys wandering amongst the roof wreckage, they were all ok but there was no sign of the BBB hen that was in with them. DH and DS actually came out to help me, that in itself was a surprise. After frantically digging, I fould the hen pinned between the roof and an outside wall. She is still alive but won't stand up and a wing may be injured, too. Now have to find someplace in the house to put her, we have an Alberta Clipper heading in and it's supposed to get pretty cold (down to possibly -20F with 40 - 50 mph wind gusts).

It's going to be fun in the spring, last spring I moved them from their permanent building because it flooded and never really dried out. Now with all of the snow, it'll probably be a real mess when it melts and I had to put them back in there.

Sigh... didn't need this...
sad.png

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the shed. Had one of those for storage and it did the same thing. Get them all inside and soon. We are going to get the same thing here and it's looking like it's going to get pretty ugly this weekend. We probably will not get your winds though.

I only need to get the hurt hen in, I have the rest back to their original building which is too frozen to be mud right now. There was a lot more snow on the roof last winter and the winter before, I have to wonder if one of the turkeys flew and hit the wall at the right point? Don't usually have turkeys in there over the winter.

I did have one White Holland go out through the roof and fly while we were cleaning up, last I saw she flew out to the garden and landed up on the greenhouse roof. Then she disappeared from there and I have no idea of where she went. Snow is knee deep out there where it hasn't drifted so searching all over for a white hen isn't really an option. Hope she comes home tomorrow and before this stuff hits...

I feel so bad for you guys. Maybe I can send you some sunshine. It's gonna be 70 degrees here on Saturday. I plan on finishing my turkey addition.
smile.png

Now that the BBB hen calmed down and relaxed... unfortunately, I found out that her leg was broken at the joint. Being that she was Broad Breasted, there weren't a whole lot of options so I had to let her go
sad.png
She was so darned calm when I put her in the sled and pulled her away to do the deed.

Still no sign of the white hen that escaped, hope she comes back soon!

Back
Top Bottom