Too much space?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bearkiller, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Bearkiller

Bearkiller New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    I have a 12 by 16 coop with an additional 16 by 17 run and only 10 laying hens. I feel like they use way too small of a portion of the area. I had 10 addtional fryers but they have since been butchered. Since we decided that the fryers weren't very cost effective it leaves us with alot of "extra" space. Any ideas what to do with it? I don't need more layers. I also am not into novelty birds at all. Like turkeys, they wanted 14 dollars a bird (chick) here and you can buy one butchered for that.

2. gunnarmcc

gunnarmcc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    SSF, CA
    quail are a nice easy thing to raise great at raising their own ducks are great for eating snails and slugs in the garden and can live with the chickens. a picture would be helpful so we can see what you are working with

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Do they have to serve a purpose? Or, would you consider rescued hens that might be past their laying days but in need of a good home to live out their days? That's one option I would consider.

4. Bearkiller

Bearkiller New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    Well, my animals are all purpose driven. So rescue isn't something I've considered. I'd planned to use mine for home made dog food when they quit laying. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by