Too much Sulmet? and other questions.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nuttyredhead, Apr 22, 2011.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    How much is too much Sulmet? The old time chicken vet i had spoken with had me give my flock Sulmet for 1 -2 weeks for a respitory issue. 2 TBSN per gallon of water. Now my girl is pooing this bright bluish color, hasnt laid an egg in 5 days... At this point im not sure i should just cull and start over.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    EE x Maran/ Olive Egger? Not entirely sure

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    SHe had been sneezing and wheezing, put her on Sulmet and now she isnt showing resp. signs, but isnt laying, not herself.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    We have been dealing with this for a few weeks

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    I had several sneezing, then i had one sitting around with her eyes closed. Now she is fine. Now i have a young one 9 weeks who is very sluggish, all hunched up

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    I did cull 2 a month or so ago with bubbly eye,sneezing

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    water and reg layer.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    bright bluish, runny.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Sulmet and wormed with ivermectin due to a mite outbreak....
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    No vet.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Fully insulated coop, fenced run, pine shavings from blue seal.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  2. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Update..the 9 week old just died. She was laying on her side in the coop barely breathing. I held her for a few minutes, she twitched alot, it looked like she was gasping for breathe but there was no noise. Then she was gone.

3. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    so sorry for your loss

4. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:Thanks. I went out to lock them up for the night, and my EEx/ oliver egger girls eye looks fairly swollen. She kept closing her eyes today, i was hoping it was because she was out in the sun. (wishful thinking). I was going to take a picture but it was dark in the coop. I will take one tomorrow.

5. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I think you have a respiratory infection in your flock. I don't think Sulmet is the best medication for that. Tylan 50 injectable 0.5cc injected just under the skin at the back of the neck for 5-7 days is a much better drug. The Sulmet may be causing the diarrhea, it is hard on the intestines. The blue color is very odd though. These infections will leave the birds carriers and they will likely have problems every now and then and they will not lay as well for you either. If you can stand it, culling is probably your best option. Try to get a necropsy from your state veterinarian so you know what you are dealing with. It will help you to know how to disinfect your coop and if it needs to stand empty for awhile.

Also, when you get new birds stick to day old chicks from a hatchery or very good NPIP private breeder. No adult birds from anyone. MUCH less likely to bring a disease back home. Stay far away from craigs list and poultry swaps. VERY bad for getting diseases. Read all you can about Biosecurity and follow it. I hope this helps you some and I am really sorry you have to deal with this. It is heartbreaking. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sounds like an overdose to me. Sulfa drugs are very hard on the system. Sounds like a huge overdose to me--two tablespoons is a huge amount! Too long a time on it as well.

7. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:Yeah and that is what the vet told me to give... Thank you both specklehen and chickengrl. I also have noticed i am not getting eggs out of one of the other girls who laid every day for me. (blue eggs, hard to miss). Im calling the NH coop now. ( i was told to call them by a local vet, i guess they would be the ones to do the necropsy).

Thanks again.

8. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Ok so she is at UNH diagnostic lab for her necropsy, we drove her up there today. It was the right thing to do. Even this morning i noticed bubbles starting in her already swollen eyes. Sadly, i was in the coop tonight spending some time with the rest of them and there are several sneezing, i think i counted 5....

They said we should hear within a few days, so im hoping by the weekend.

9. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Ever find out what it was?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by